Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by AliJ55: Honeymooners on the Liberty

Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Carnival Liberty Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Honeymooners on the Liberty

Sail Date: April 2008

This was my first cruise and my husbands 5th. 3rd on Carnival. I was instantly impressed by the size of the ship. Even when pulling into ports the Liberty was by far the largest ship. Embarkation was a cinch. We arrived at the terminal at 10:30am. We had a family member drive us which made things much easier. Our luggage was taken right away and we walked into the terminal. Went straight through security in about 5 minutes and then waited another 10 to check in and get out sail and sign card. We were able to change our Credit Card at this point instead of having to do it at the Pursers desk on the ship. We were on the ship by 11:30. We did notice that those who arrived to the terminal later waited much longer. We had lunch on the Lido deck and watched everyone board. We were allowed to get to our rooms around 1:30. Our room was great. Very spacious and had a balcony. We had enough storage with space left over. The bathrooms are big enough for one person at a time but spacious enough More to not feel confined. This room is in the middle of the ship and I would highly recommend it. Close to the elevators. Noise was not bad. You will hear balcony doors slam and will be able to hear people in the rooms next to you, nothing to complain about. We did have a problem with our sink the first day but maintenance arrived very quickly to fix the problem. Our luggage was not there when we got to our room. It arrived around 3:30. We received someone else's luggage instead. Small mix up nothing bad.

Regarding the food. Stay away from the steaks. Otherwise the food in the dining room is edible. Jude was our waiter and took great care of us. We had breakfast in Emiles buffet and one morning in the Silver Olympian. The Silver Olympian was open seating and we were sat with some very rude people. We made that a very quick breakfast. Since that was a bad experience we decided to do the buffet every morning. The food in the buffet is the same every day. We did not utilize the omelette station as the lines were always long and we wanted to get to the ports quickly to start out our day. Lunch was good, nothing great. Fish and chips was good and we tried the deli. We requested seating for either 2 or 6. Being that it is our honeymoon we wanted to spend our nights with each other. When we got our assignment we realized we were at a table of 4. Our Maitre'd changed our table thinking he was doing us a favor by moving us away from the kitchen. We asked to be moved to a table for 2 and he was able to move us. The table wasn't by the kitchen either. Miguel was great!

We did go to Harry's Supper Club on the night of Puerto Rico. We got back on the ship early as Puerto Rico wasn't really an interest to us. The staff and service in Harry's is on par with Morton's steak house. We had at least 4 different waiters taking care of us. There were only about 5 other couples in the dining room that night. The lobster bisque was great, the salad was boring. I ordered the Prime Rib and my husband had the Filet. Unfortunately we found these both to be disappointing and I was ill after the meal. We were so looking forward to this meal as we had read great reviews about it. The Prime Rib was very tough as well as the Filet. By the time dessert came we were just ready to leave. FYI, while in port in Puerto Rico we were charged sales tax on the meal and drinks, not a big deal but I thought I would let everyone know. I still suggest trying it out, this is just our opinion and maybe we were there on a bad night. We still heard people rave about it on the ship.

If you are looking for a GREAT bartender head to the paparazzi bar on deck 5 right across from the Hot and Cool club and next to the Piano Bar. Tommy is the best bartender. Funny and makes really great (strong) drinks. He made the best dirty martini on the ship. We were looking forward to watching sports in the sports bar. Be prepared to watch Colorado news channels and International basketball and soccer. Kind of a disappointment.

The ports were good. St. Thomas was great for us as my cousin lives there and we were able to meet up and hit some local spots. We went to Secret Harbor which had a few other cruisers there but not many. There are also bathrooms, a restaurant and bar. It was great! We were able to get lounge chairs and umbrellas and it wasn't crowded. Not a lot of people on our cruise new about this place when we spoke to them. I highly recommend it. We passed Coki Beach and it may be a beautiful beach but it is located in one scary place. A lot of dealings going on right outside the beach area. Try Duffy's Love Shack for drinks. It is right across from Red Hook. This is were my cousin works and its a fun place. Try the Funky Monkey Drink. You get to keep the Monkey it comes in!

Antigua was also enjoyable. The beach we went to was Dickerson Bay. Amazing beach. We got there very early and were able to get an umbrella and chairs. One thing about Antigua is they are very pushy. Taxi drivers bombard you as soon as you get off the boat. Pick one and move on. Also shop after you visit the beaches you get better deals. The beach area as well has a few locals trying to sell stuff. They will ask you over and over again. Have a few drinks and it won't bother you. Dickerson Bay also offers water sports if you are interested. There is a bar and they make great drinks. They also serve food but we ate back on the boat.

Tortola was by far the best. We opted out of the excursions because of the prices and did the Virgin Gorda Baths on our own. This is a must see. We got off the boat early and walked to the ferry. (No need to take a taxi its about a 7 minute walk) We purchased the ferry tickets and they came with Taxi transfers once on Virgin Gorda. There is an information desk once you get off the boat. They can give you a map and tell you the prices. We took the first ferry over which was scheduled to leave at 9:00am. The excursion left at 8:30. Either way it does not give you much time at the baths. Once off the ferry the shuttles are there to meet you. There are many shuttles and they come quickly so don't worry if you don't get on the first one. Once there its about a 5 minutes walk down to the baths. I brought my sneakers and I was glad I did as my husband slipped a couple of times on the rocks. Once there we tried to do the caves. We went about a quarter way through and got stuck because the beach was so crowded. There were a few cruise ships at port this day. Unfortunately we had to turn around. The tour guide in front of us said it only takes about 20 minutes but due to all the crowds it would take at least an hour to get through. Everyone stops takes pictures that sort of thing. So we went back to the beach and enjoyed the water. We were there only about an hour before we had to head back up to catch the shuttle to the ferry and then back to the boat. We were able to get in a bit of shopping before heading back.

We did go for the Aqua Adventure in the Bahamas. This allowed us to utilize the water park in Atlantis. It was expensive but worth the money. We decided we will be back to plan a vacation in Atlantis. The lazy river was fabulous. We were supposed to only stay in one area but my husband and I decided to walk around the grounds. No one stopped us. We were able to get to the Dig and the Aquarium. We got there just as feeding time started. It made for some great pictures. Atlantis is beautiful and we really enjoyed it. Again we didn't have enough time to enjoy everything but we were able to get a good idea of things. This excursion gave us a 20 minute ferry tour on the way there. On the way back however, you have to utilize the ferry's that everyone else uses and they were packed and small. This was something I didn't like. The at sea days can get a bit boring. It's hard to find a lounge chair. We did go to a couple of events like the hairy chest contest, the newly wed game, family feud and all of the comedians. Some were better than others, but helped the day go by faster. The Mardi Gras party was fun and we met a great family from Philly! The shows at night were like watching a High School musical. We weren't impressed. The Liberty overall is a good ship, enough activities and very big. It would be a great ship to organize a family reunion or group vacation.

Debarkation was also a cinch for us. We chose to leave our luggage out the night before and get off once our number was called. We left our room at 8:30 after the Self Debarkation was completed. We waited in the Casino area until our number was called. We were number 5 so we were the first group to get off. (They call group 1-10 first) Most people do the Self Debarkation but it seemed to take forever. We went through customs grabbed our bags and off we went. Very easy. Less

Read more Carnival Liberty cruise reviews >>