Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by sooner9795

Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+

First time! Great time!
This was my very first cruise so I wasn't sure what to expect. I have been reading the CC boards for awhile and had some idea, but the overall experience more than I ever dreamed. I cruised with seven other family members.

We arrived in Galveston the night before, ate at a nice restaurant (Saltgrass), and walked along the sea wall. Early to bed for embarkation the next day. We arrived at the pier at 10:30 a.m and were eating lunch on the Lido deck by 11:30 a.m. The only problem that we had was that we had linked our reservations 14 months prior, but were assigned two different tables in the dining room. Four of us were at a table for four. The other four were at a table for eight with two other couples. They told us that they would try to fix it, but they were not able to. We were a little disappointed, but were not going let that affect our trip. We began to explore the ship and were amazed at how nice everything was. I have read about the Conquest being too gaudy, we did not think so.

We all had inside cabins so we were not expecting much, but we were all pleased with the amount of room that we had. I loved how dark the room was at night. Perfect sleeping conditions for me. Our room steward introduced himself to us, but after that, we rarely saw him. He somehow knew every time we left the room because it had been cleaned each time we came back to it. Some in my group thought that he was in the rooms too much, but it did not bother me.

The ship but huge, but not that difficult to get around in. We had it figured out by the end of the first day. The sea days were nice. Lots of opportunities to get some sun and relax. Perhaps they need a few more activities during the day, but you could always find something to. I thought the shows were good, not Vegas quality, but good none the less. The legends show was great. I really admired the performers who spent all week practicing. They truly gave it their all. We also enjoyed the piano bar. Very entertaining. The casino is very large but, surprise, surprise, did not pay out very well. I was the luckiest in our group and just broke even.

We ate in the dining room every night, and loved it. The food was very good, and the service was even better. (loved the beef wellington) Lunch at the buffet was pretty good also. I personally like the pizza the best. By the end of the week I did not think I could possibly eat any more. The bar service was good but a little expensive, but what the heck, it was vacation time. The port days were our favorites.

Jamaica: We did the catamaran/snorkel/doctors cave beach excursion. It was a lot of fun. The beach was great. A couple of us left the beach area to walk to margaritaville. Not for the tame at heart. I was approached three time and asked if I wanted to buy drugs. Just tell them no, and keep walking. They won't follow.

Grand Cayman: We took a cab to the Royal Palm beach club. Four dollar cab ride per person, and no charge to enter. Absolutely loved it. The water was perfect. Afterwards, we did a little shopping.

Cozumel: I had been here before. Little had changed. We mainly just shopped and walked along the square. The locals are persistent, but very friendly. We did go to Senor Frogs. It was a little wilder that I remembered before. We were not in there long. Overall, we had a fantastic time. We all want to go back soon. I will tell everyone I know that they have to go on a cruise. It exceeded all of my expectations. The crew were wonderful. They only rude people on the ship were passengers. Okay, there has to be a bad part, and here it is.

DISEMBARKATION! What a bad experience. We were told to be on the Lido deck by 8:30 a.m. We were not out of customs until 3:30 p.m.!!!! The problem as told to us by the customs agents was that over one half of the passengers were non U.S. citizens (International Rotary Club) They all had early flight so they were given priority. We were told that on any other Sunday that we would have been out by 11:30 a.m. I know this was not really anyone's fault, but it did make for a miserable day.

Publication Date: 05/07/08