Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Nik: Glorious

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Glorious

Sail Date: April 2008
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

We flew into Orlando from Syracuse the morning of our cruise. We were a little later then expected arriving in Orlando and took the Carnival shuttle to the Port. It was approximately 1 hour drive and our bags were handled by the porters at the pier. We didn't have to take them from the bus. This was my Platinum cruise and therefore was whisked to the front of the line, escorted to a private waiting area, received our documents and was escorted on the ship. We probably saved over an hour going to the front of the line. We took our bags to our room, met our room steward Cecil who was amazing all week. We went up to the Lido for lunch and the drink special of the day.

This was our 4th trip to the Eastern Carr., so we didn't do too many excursions through the ship. In Nassau we walked around downtown and bought some of our favorite rum that we can't get here! We were only ashore two hours maybe...back on deck for some sun and lunch.

St. Thomas...Platinum go to the More front of the line for customs and debarkation...we were some of the first off the ship...we shopped at Havensight and took the ships tour to St. John as the water was rough and wasn't sure if we would make it back on our own. The tour left at 1:30 arrived back to the ship at 5:30...it was $71 per person and you really only had 1 hour and 20 minutes tops at the beach :( We weren't too impressed. I had originally planned on doing this ourselves, but the seas were really rough. Loved Trunk Bay and would go again. Snorkeling wasn't good due to the surf.

St. Maarten..we went to Orient Beach...one of our all time favorites. Spent the day there at Baywatch..enjoyed the sun, sand, beverages and the beautiful water. Taxi was $6 each way per person. Drinks were reasonable at $2 pint...we didn't eat lunch there, but they were really busy at lunch time. Did a little shopping at the pier...a few souvenirs...we have been here often enough so just a few things for the kids.

Sea days...really enjoyed the peace and quiet on deck...lots of sun or shade..some chair hogs as usual. We didn't participate in the activities during the daytime, although they looked liked fun. The shows were good. Especially liked the Motown Act...Marcus Anthony from St. John WOW! was he good. We enjoyed the music on this ship...lots of variety for everyone..some dancing in the disco every night and finally...more NON SMOKING venues :) Here in Ontario smoking in public facilities is banned and we aren't used to the smoke anymore..so what a relief to find some clubs that didn't allow smoking. I don't care that people smoke, I just don't want to breathe it in.

Food...I had read many recent reviews prior to this cruise and must agree with most that the quality of the meals in the dining room has declined. I never complain about the food...if I don'thave to cook it and clean up..it's okay with me..however, it just wasn't very good. We ate in the dining room 3 nights only..a first for us. The food in the buffet was your typical buffet fare and was good. We really liked the deli and ate lunch there often. Fish and chips was good as well. Everything from the grill was excellent...burgers, hot dogs, fries etc. Didn't make it to pizza this time :( not enough time and so much food.

I have no complaints about this cruise. The ship was beautiful (my second trip on the Glory), all staff we encountered were extremely friendly, there were alot of retired people on this cruise, so things didn't get too out of hand.

The Cruise Director Ryan Fitzgerald was very funny. I think he did a good job.

We used the Luggage Express Service this trip. We put our bags out the night prior, had filled out the necessary paperwork the day before and received our boarding passes, bag tags etc. It was excellent..It was $15 per person and you didn't touch your bags again until you reached you destination. Excellent!

Disembarkation...Platinum had their own waiting area and were some of the very first off the ship. Self Assist were right behind us. We used the Carnival shuttle back to the airport..very easy and no hassle. All in all a very relaxing vacation...can't wait to go again! Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>