Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by J Tannehill

Member Name: J Tannehill
Cruise Date: April 2008
Cabin Category: 6B

jt & kt cruisentime
My wife and I traveled with my son and his wife. This was my 10th cruise, my wife's 3rd and my son & daughter-in-law's 2nd. We flew in from St. Louis, MO on Saturday. Flight was ok, got in early and had to wait an hour and a half for the transfer to the ship. The first bus left at 11:00AM, the next was about 20 minutes later. Embarkation went pretty smooth and we were on board and in our cabins by 12:30 PM. We left out of Miami a little late, not sure why. However there were 3 ships total in port leaving about the same time.

We had an outside view cabin, it seemed roomer then some of the cabins on other ships we have been on. The room was always clean and ready for us.

We were second seating in the London dining room. Our head waitress did a very good job. The food for the most part came rather quickly, as we all finished one serving the next would arrive. My fish was late on the third night, arriving after the main course. And my daughter-in-laws snails on the last night didn't come at all. The warm chocolate melting cake was every ones favorite dessert.

Half Moon Cay - water was clear, the beaches very clean. It was what you hoped and island get away would be like. We stayed on the beach and swam where the tethered floats were. Great time was had by all. Weather was sunny, use lots of sun screen and drink plenty of fluids - the waiter is close by.

St. Thomas - Listen to Rudi's talks about the shopping, he is best shopping guide I have had on all of my trips. If you buy jewelry here ask for a beer and see what you get. That's the way to sell jewelry. They are doing road construction on the road back from town to the pier. With that said, it took us about 10 minutes to get to town $4.00 per person. 45 minutes to get back. You can walk back faster. This caused us to miss our tour. We went back on board and talked to the pursers' desk and they were able to set us up with another to St. John's island. Excellent job by them. (Tip: if you buy rum remember it came St. Thomas)

Puerto Rico - Took the Bacardi tour, nice tour but you won't go into the factory itself. Gift shop small but the drinks were free. The main shopping area in town is an easy walk from the ship. An interesting spot is the Capital building, go there and find the statue of John the Baptist. From the Capital side of the street, walk to the west of the statue a little and look back at it. It's a good laugh. The alcohol for sale in the store at the pier is your best buy. Get it there. (Tip: remember you bought it in St. Thomas) The jewelry stores here don't give out beer.

Grand Turk - Spent most of our time shopping for Alexandrite. Rudi was in the store and helped us more then I can say. Use him for your shopping every chance you get. If you can dive, this is the place to go.

They have Club O2 for the 15 to 17 year olds on board, which I thought was something different and needed on all the ships I've been on.

Disembarkation - went smooth, you could stay in your cabin until your deck was called. We were off the ship by 9:30 AM. Customs took awhile, get in a middle line and stay. If you jump around it will take longer, as the customs agents leave from time to time.

Over all we would do this itinerary with this cruise line again without a second thought.

Matt the Cruise director was better entertainment then the individual entertainers.

Publication Date: 05/05/08