Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by DaisyGirl55: A Weekend on the Majesty

Compare Prices on Majesty of the Seas Bahamas Cruises

A Weekend on the Majesty

Sail Date: April 2008
Destination: Bahamas

Background: This cruise on the Majesty of the Seas was my 4th cruises with Royal Caribbean, and my husband's 1st. Actually, this was my 11th cruise overall, having also sailed with NCL, Carnival, and Celebrity. I have always enjoyed RCCL and wanted my husband to experience this cruise line as well.

Living in Florida, we drove to the port of Miami. We arrived at the port around 11:00, and by the time we parked the car and went through the check-in process; we were on the ship about 45 minutes later. Very smooth and very easy! Our rooms were not quite ready, so we headed up to the Windjammer and grabbed a bite to eat. After a delicious lunch, we grabbed our first foo-foo drink, and relaxed out by the pool until the announcement was made that all rooms were ready.

Embarkation: We went and unpacked, although that did not take long at all. being that this was a weekend cruise, we only had 1 small suitcase each, and my cosmetic case. The muster drill was held around More 4:30, and we were lucky to have our muster station in one of the lounges. No standing out in the hot sun pushed up against each other!

My coupon booklet for being a return cruiser was already on my bed. In fact, there was something from Crown and Anchor each day: a hat for my husband one day, and a small tote bag for me the last day. Ship: We opted for an inside cabin since this was such a short cruise. We had plenty of room, and never felt crowded at all. As my husband is 6'7" I was a bit concerned because the rooms on this ship tend to be smaller than the rooms he was used to on Carnival ships. I soon found out that this was not a cause for concern. The rooms are quite dark, so if you need a bit of light, bring an alarm clock or small nightlight. In fact, it was so dark and so quiet that we slept until around 8:30 every morning!

The Majesty went through a refurb a few years ago, and it shows! The ship is beautifully well-maintained, and looks great. A favorite place was the Schooner Bar, and sipping some of Carol's martini creations. We spent quite a bit of time in the casino as well, and while the slots were not paying out any huge wins, we did manage to keep winning enough to keep playing. That is good enough for me, as I am not really looking to make a killing - I just want to be able to keep playing.

We never had a problem with "chair hogs", and there were plenty of waiters on the different decks who were more than happy to bring us a drink, get a fresh towel after a dip in the pool, or clear dishes from those who had a bite to eat out by the pool area.

Entertainment: I was surprised to get an invitation for a meet-and greet for returning Crown and Anchor members. I am not sure if it was because there was such a large number on board, but I went and had a great time. They had complimentary cocktails, and lots of snack food. We met the staff, and both the Captain and the Cruise Director spoke a few works. The Future Cruise Consultant passed out some paperwork on the new ship, Genesis.

I was very disappointed with the shows. I felt like the RCCL Singers and Dancers were either the left-overs from other ships, or the newbies being broken in. During the big finale show, several people walked out and did not bother to stay for the entire performance, which is how bad it was.

Dining: As usual, the food was awesome. Our wait staff couldn't do enough for us. We had a table for 4, even though I had requested a large table. I figured that if we didn't get along with our table-mates, we would just move. It was never an issue, and we had a great time at dinner making conversation and comparing notes about what we did that day.

We ate lunch at Johnny Rockets one day, and boy-oh-boy was it good! No matter how full you are, do not leave before trying the hot apple pie with ice cream! Yummy! They did their song and dance, and the guys cooking kept singing along with the jukebox. Very fun experience! Shore Excursions: We did not do any of the shore excursions from the ship, and preferred doing Nassau on our own. We walked around a bit, then took a taxi over to Atlantic. If you have never been, you really should go. It is a phenomenal place. We walked around the aquarium, then spent some time in the Casino (of course!). before heading back to the ship, we walked around outside, and went down to where the walkway ends near the beach. It was an very enjoyable day.

CocoCay was, as always, a very relaxing day. I am now 4 for 4 on getting to CocoCay. The sun was warm, the foot was good, and the Coco Loco's refreshing. The water was a bit cold, so we mainly just sat in the sun and enjoyed a bit of reading, napping, or just listening to the music.

Disembarkation: One word…a nightmare! We chose to carry off our own luggage, and made the mistake of getting off with the first group called. We ended up waiting in a long line on the ship, and then again to get through Customs. It took over an hour before we were finally through, and heading back to our car. They want you out of your room by 8am so that the rooms can be readied for the next cruise, so we thought we would just get off early and head home. Next time, I will exit my room, but then I will just go and sit on the deck until it tapers off a bit.

Summary: The Majesty of the Seas is still a great ship to cruise on. The 4 day cruise goes to Key West and adds an additional sea day, but if you just need to get some R&R on a weekend, the Majesty is the way to go. As long as I am living in Florida and able to drive to the ports, I plan on a weekend cruise at least twice a year from here on out. Less

Read more Majesty of the Seas cruise reviews >>