Celebrity Century Cruise Review by szdiver

Member Name: szdiver
Cruise Date: April 2008
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Category: CS
See More About: Celebrity Century Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Shore Excursions 5+

fun in the sun IS
We decided to get away from the Winter here in Kentucky, so we ordered up a piece of sun and fun on Century for 4 days.... We are two 60 yo's who like to cruise and try to do so about 2-3 times a year. We do not like to come in on the day of the cruise, as so much can and does happen when travelling by air.....so we stayed the night at the Richmond for the third time. Something has happened to the Richmond since we last stayed there and it has gone down hill quite a lot. The room we had was in disrepair with the window blinds half up and half down and no way to fix because the strings were broken. The toilet flushed and did not stop for almost 30 minutes at a time. The "full" breakfast for free cost us $56.00 because coffee, rolls, toast, etc. were not included. Little things do sometimes mean a lot and in this case, the Richmond has indeed lost two customers. Not a good start to our vacation, but .....

The trip to the port was without incident and we did not have a line to stand in. We actually got into the line for Captain's Club instead of suites because there was no line. We were on board in about 10 minutes, only because we were stopped for identification about 6 times on the way to the ship.

The Century is a different class than we have been on before (Summit, Infinity & Constellation), but it is a very nice ship. There are a few places where you can get turned around, but all in all, not bad. Our room was in the aft, which we love, but the sunset grill was directly over us and there was some scooting of chairs and tables and the entertainment was very loud INSIDE our room from there. Luckily, it ended sometime around 10:00 PM and the night was quiet after people left for the night. The sun was always on part of our balcony and we had breakfast out there on our table two of the days. Our room stewart did not seem to know too much - perhaps he was new. We had to ask him several times for ice, and the deck of the balcony was never cleaned the whole 4 days, so we had black feet the entire cruise.

We ate mostly at the Grand Dinning Room, which was not too bad on the food. We never had to send anything back, but we seemed to be the last table all 4 nights. Our waiter seemed to be learning. His assistant was, however, a little better. Angela forgot water glasses, but did well other than that. Lopez (waiter) was very slow and our food was always at least one course behind other tables around us. The crew seemed to be a training crew - maybe that was why they were not up to par with other cruises we have done with Celebrity.

There did not seem to be as many activities as on other ships. The pool was used once or twice for fun things, but no belly flop contests, etc. We spent a lot of time on our balcony relaxing. The entertainment was really good! We had one night broadway, one night rock n roll and one night a comedian. All were great.

We used the shore excursion desk for one tour - more on that later.

We boarded on Thursday, April 24th, and had lunch before we went to our stateroom. Dave's luggage arrived within 1 hour, but mine did not get to me until we sailed. I finally went to look for it myself and one of the crew found it for me. I looked for two of our Cruise Critic people at the pool at sailaway, but did not find them. We dressed for supper, and went to meet our new friends at dinner. The show that night was a little peek at all shows for the cruise. We had an early night (Midnight) and went to bed.

Friday, we were in Key West and found out that a military ship had taken our spot, so we had to ferry in from the ship. The seas were a little rough and a lot of people either could not get into Key West, or decided not to try. Many did go, and it was ok. Since we have been to KW a lot, we just walked around a bit and then got back to the ship. We found out that a lot of people complained about the rough seas and the Captain decided to give everyone an OBC and a party with free drinks. Nice, but I could not see why necessary. NO, I did not give back the OBC, but still, I would not have complained, since the military should have first shot at any berths available if they need them. We got cleaned up and had a small lunch on our balcony, and rested. We had late seating, so we went there and then to the show. In between the dinner and the show, I went to the martini bar and FINALLY found the cc people - Splilnky and Ottwapuppy were there with friends and we had a nice chat, then I went to the theater to meet up with Dave. The show was the broadway one I mentioned above and was very good. Afterwards, we again had an early night.

Saturday, we were in Cozumel. We were late by about two hours, but had a shore excursion to Passion Island and were one of the first off. We did not tender in, but they still let you off first if you had a shore excursion planned. After a half hour ride in a nice a/c bus, we arrived at the ferry for passion island and it took about 10 minutes to get across. At first there were people there from Enchantment of Seas, but after about 30 minutes, they left and we had the island to ourselves - all 54 of us. It did not seem crowded at all. We found two chairs and a few pine trees to shade us. There were also some hammocks, which we tried for a while, and a large water trampoline. It was very beautiful and quiet. There was a small lunch which was tasty and all the drinks you could drink. Also there was 3 or 4 small shops, but no one bothered you on the beach to buy things. All in all, it was a very nice day..... We left the island around 5:00 and went back to the ship and did a little shopping before boarding. Time for supper again. We never did get any reservations in Morano, although we did try. Everyone had gotten ahead of us by doing it online. I am not sure this is a nice way to go. Some people do not have online availability. Anyway, we ate and went to the show, which was rock n roll. Good dancing and singing, and our cc buddies were there to join us. I did give a donation of $20 to the casino, just for the fun of it. No luck there.

On Sunday, after breakfast on our balcony, I had a seminar to go to. The Ridel wine glass seminar. WOW! was I surprised! No way was wine going to taste better in one glass than another! Well, I am here to tell you that IT DOES! Does not make sense still, but it did taste different in the RIdel glasses. Of course I and several other non-believers, bought the glasses in the end. Unbelievable! Next thing on the agenda was the bridge tour. There were about 20 people and it was very informative. We were able to take pictures, but no video was allowed. After the bridge tour, my new pal Mike and I went to the grand tea. Lots of good sandwiches and tasty treats. Good thing I had not had lunch yet! There were only about 30 people there, which I found very strange. We attended both the Captain Club party and the Captain's cocktail party. I was really surprised at the attendance at both, but it seemed that not a lot of Captain's Club members were on board. Of course, this was our last day, so Dave did the packing while I was at tea with Mike. Wasn't that nice of him?

Disembarkation was as easy as walking off the ship - we had signed up for the valet luggage service. Since we only had two suitcases, we signed up Dave and I went along for the ride. Only $20 and we did not have to worry about our suitcases getting to the airport. Very easy. We had a 3 hour wait at the airport, but finally our plane arrived and we were on our way home. DARN! In summary, we really enjoyed our 4-day cruise on the Century and would do it again. We did, however, feel like a lot of the crew were in training and did not yet know their duties or how to do them. There were always smiles enough to go around. We had a delightful mini-cruise.

Publication Date: 04/29/08