Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by Ramon Casiano

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by Ramon Casiano
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Summit
Member Name: Ramon Casiano
Cruise Date: March 2008
Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Transatlantic
Cabin Category: 04
See More About: Celebrity Summit Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

A transatlantic dream cruise!
Embarkation in San Juan was a breeze. It was very organized taking less than 20 minutes. We were received with champagne which I found to be a nice gesture.

Every employee that we encountered were very helpful. The food was outstanding in all three meals. They even brought out a small cake for our anniversary. The staff especially our cabin steward are awesome. The weather has been very good the first two days.

The third day of the transatlantic cruise was very relax. I must say that up to today, the food has been outstanding. The activities are many which is not to say they could have more variety. The selection of TV programs and movies could be much better, but my experience tells me that it is similar in most ships.

The forth day has been a very rough day with seas being around 12 to 15 foot waves. We decided to have most of the meals in the room except for dinner which was in the dining room. Again the chef did an outstanding job.

On the fifth day the weather has improved a lot. The food has been outstanding, but that has been a daily routine. I overheard some people said that the food has been bland. While I respect their opinion I do not agree. The staff at the restaurant are outstanding. They are fast and attentive. The entertainment has been good. I have to say that the cruise director should have more activities, and better movie selection.

The sixth day the weather has taken a turn for the worst. It was suppose to get better, but the seas do as they please. We had some great table-mates for dinner. One couple is from England and the other couple is from San Francisco USA. The entertainment has been overall average. For me the entertainment had too many singers.

The seventh day we finally arrived in Ponta Delgada Azores. We took a ship tour to Fire Lake and the town of Ribera Grande. This was a beautiful place. The ship tour was very organized, but did not allow for any shopping. The ship left right on time like always. We had lunch and dinner in the main restaurant and there were both very good. Today the show was very good.

The eight day we arrived at Vigo Spain around 1100 hours. Beautiful place with many things to do. Always remember that if you visit Spain on a Sunday many of the things to do will be limited except for restaurants. The shipboard activities were about the same, like always the food and service outstanding.

The ninth day we arrived to Guijon Spain. The port is in an industrial zone. We opted for a ships tour to Aviles which was a very nice place to visit. The ship's tour was not very organized and involved too much walking for a sightseeing tour.

The tenth day we arrived at La Rochelle France. We opted to go to town on a shuttle bus that the ship provided for $8 a person. We walked around the center of town and went to see some of the attractions in town. We did some souvenir shopping and then returned to the ship.

The eleventh day of the cruise we arrived on Cherbourg France. Nice town with lots of things to do. The time allowed was to short to do much. I came to think that when they plan the schedule of the cruise, the company thought about quantity rather than quality.

The last day we disembarked at Southampton England. The process was very efficient and if you ask me to fast. We waited until the last possible minute and to be honest we had trouble letting go. We ate breakfast without being rushed and were treated good from the first day to the last. We were out by 9 with plenty of time to get to the coach station.

Final points about the cruise:

Excellent: Food was awesome. Service in the dinning room was excellent. Service in the cabin was magnificent. The cabin was in great shape and the mattresses were super comfortable. Service overall 5 stars. Bravo for the crew.

Good Entertainment options for me were not that good based on variety. I feel there were too many singers. The free movies were mostly older. The newer movies cost $10 which before used to be free.The visits to the ports were to short in time and not very well organized.

Bad I felt that paying for shuttles to take you into the center of the towns was not reasonable. The lines to get back on the ship were too long .

We had a great time and we are already planing another transatlantic in the Summit for the year 2009.

Publication Date: 04/26/08