Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by Joyce Conger

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by Joyce Conger
Carnival Triumph
Spa & Fitness 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Awesome 1st cruise
First off this was our first cruise. There was myself, husband, 17 yr & 16 yr daughters. We went for 17 yr. old graduation. We cruised April 12th - April 19th.

We flew to Miami on Saturday April 12th. Our flight was to get in at 1:45 pm. so we thought we better purchase Carnival transfers that way they know we are coming if the flight was late. We did arrive at 2:00 pm. We went and found our luggage and the transfer. There were alot of other people arrive at the same time so we knew we were ok. They had about 5 buses there to take passengers to the different ships. We were put on a bus and then had to wait about a hour for 15 people trying to clear customs. It ended up that they were not even on the Triumph. I was not a happy camper. We arrived at the port at about 3:45. They rushed us through security and check in in about 2 minutes. That was nice but since they were waiting on about 30 of us to get to the port they rushed us thru. The embark photo people were already back on the ship so we did not get our picture taken and I was very disappointed because this was definitely one photo I wanted to buy since this was our first cruise. I have learned to fly in the day before and NEVER transfer. If we would have taken a taxi we would have been to the port on time. We did not sail out of Miami until about 5:45 because we were late. We missed sailing out of Miami because we went to the dining room to eat. A little disappointed about that. When we got on we had to rush to our room as they were in the middle of the muster drill. Everything went too fast.

ROOM- We had an inside room on the Veranda Deck towards the aft. It was great. I liked the location being close to the Lido Deck. We had a strange sound on the inside wall. I think the exhaust went up that side. Bothered me a little but everyone else was ok with it. We had all 4 of us in the room. It was tight. I would not put 5 people in there unless they were small kids. Our room steward Ridi was great. Our room was always clean and he was very friendly and always ask how our day was when he seen us. He always had a cute towel animal for our girls. He definitely earned his extra tip.

DINING- My family thought the food was good. Being our 1st cruise we don't have anything to compare to but we thought everything was very good. The buffet was just what you would expect on a buffet. The breakfast buffet got old as they always had the exact same thing. Burgers were excellent. The kids ate pizza alot and they liked it. The deli had wonderful fresh made sandwiches and the Hong Kong Noddle Co. was good but not anything special. Before the cruise we were not too excited about eating in the dining room but we went the first night because we did not have to dress up and we fell in love. We went every night of the cruise. I thought the food was excellent. The only thing that was disappointing was the melting cake was not cooked well enough on about 3 nights.

PORTS- St. Thomas- What a beautiful island. We did the Christmas Cove snorkeling thru Carnival. It was a wonderful excursion. We meet on the pier and they took us on open air taxi's to the catamaran. It was a great ride. We went out snorkeling for about 2 hours. I thought it was wonderful snorkeling. Lots of fish and coral. We then got back to the ship around lunch so we changed and ate on the ship before we went shopping there by the ship as we were very tired from snorkeling. We were back on the ship way before we left. San Juan, PR- We had a medical emergency the 1st night and had to stop at Nassau, Bahamas so they changed this port from a night stop to a day stop. We were very happy about the change as we now got to go to the forts. They were worth it. Very informative and interesting. We did not have a plan excursion here. One draw back here is when we got off of the ship there were taxi and bus drivers everywhere trying to get you to take there transportation. I did not like this. We did finally have a guy say he would take us around and drop us off where ever we need for $10 per person, so we took him up on it. It was nice to be able to have him drive us where we wanted to go. Grand Turk- We did not do an excursion here either. We did rent a golf cart and toured the island at our leisure. It was very fun. Our girls even got to drive. It was interesting driving on the wrong side of the road. We then did the beach but the ship. It was very nice and lots of free chairs everywhere. We didn't do Margaritaville but it seemed quite lively.

Our girls didn't not use the Club 02. They stayed around us most of the time so I can't say much about that. The entertainment on the ship was good in my opinion. There was alot to do and if you were bored that is your fault. Matt Ross the CD was great and some of the assistants were wonderful. Gary one of the assistants is excellent and he should become a CD sometime in the future.

Disembark was very smooth for us. We were staying in Miami for the night so there was not a big hurry to get off. We enjoyed a later breakfast and then just waited to be called. We were some of the last to get off of the ship. It was very fast once you were called and customs was easy.

The Triumph is a wonderful ship. I thought she was very clean and in good order but this was my 1st cruise ship. Some have complained about the layout but I just did enough homework before we left so I knew where everything was on the ship and how to navigate it. I am not addicted to cruising and would definitely go on the Triumph in a heartbeat. Don't let anyone scare you away!She is going in for dry dock in Sept. so she should be even better.

Publication Date: 04/24/08