Carnival Destiny Cruise Review by rierie07

Cruise Date: April 2008
Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: 4C
See More About: Carnival Destiny Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Couldn't be better!!
This was a fabulous cruise and I couldn't have asked for anything more.

We didn't book a day in advance for San Juan. We just wanted to go to Puerto Rico early and explore Old San Juan and explore the ship. We took Delta out of JFK to Atlanta. There was an hour lay over. Then from ATL we went to San Juan. When we arrived in San Juan, it was HOTT!!..Imagine going from 40 degrees to 89 degrees in a couple of hours. Goodness gracious!! We arrived around 2:30. We didn't take the Carnival transfer because that was $30pp and a regular taxi ride was just $20.50 total.

When we arrived at the port, it sure was busy. Embarkation was okay. We went through about 4 people stopping us just to look at our passport. My boyfriend and I tried MANY of the samples of free alcohol which was a plus. However, the lines were crazy. It was approximately 30 minutes or so in the line with the humid temp but nonetheless it was a vacation, so we weren't complaining. When we finally got on board, we dropped off our carry-ons, but our bags were not in the room, so we proceeded to the Info. desk. My boyfriend wanted to pre-pay is sail and sign card, so he did that. The line for that was very long. It seemed as if people were asking a million and one questions when they were talking to the pursuer. Their computers kept crashing as well so it seemed as if it took forever but we weren't mad. This was my boyfriend's 3rd cruise and my 1st so needless to say he was showing me around.

The destiny is a huge ship. The main places we stayed at was the 3, 4, 5, 6 (our room)and 9th floor. And of course the 0 floor because that's where we got off board.

First night on the cruise is the sail away party that played caribbean music. It was so much fun. The food in the lido deck was good. After the party we went to bed ready for St. Thomas.

ST. THOMAS--probably would have been nice but we wouldn't have known because it rained. ALL DAY. So we couldn't go to the beach or anything. We just stayed around the area of Havensight port and visited the stores and had food at one of the local shops. We left there and returned to the ship and had a few drinks there. Afterwards, we went to the casino and played a lot. My boyfriend hit for $700 on his last cruise so he was determined to try to win again. Needless to say, he never did. LOL. Anyways, we ate on the lido deck that night instead of in the dinning room and we met a great couple from Maryland.

DOMINICA--MY FAVORITE port. I absolutely loved this island. The minute we stepped off the ship, there was live music playing. Colorful places to buy things, and people were just so friendly. My boyfriend and I booked an excursion that day with Carnival. My bf forgot his swimming shorts at home so we went on the hunt for swimming trunks. My bf has dreds so everyone on the island kept calling him Rasta man and Ras man and just saying hello to him from everywhere. We finally came to this one place where they sold swimming trunks for men. The place was expensive but we were going kayaking and snorkeling so he really needed it. At 1:30 we met with our group which were 3 vans full. We were towards the back so we actually got the best seat and sat in the front with the driver. His name was Cornel. He was very informative about the island. The roads were so narrow. In New York, we have 2 sides of the street but in dominica, their street is just 1 lane for 2 cars. The driver even stopped so that we could see the 2 oceans meet. The caribbean and atlantic. NIIICE!! SO we finally get to the place where we signed our lives away and went kayaking and snorkeling. My boyfriend and I were very inexperienced and fell out of the kayak not once but twice. It was very long..about an hour or so kayaking. Snorkeling was the best. We saw so much coral and a few fish. But the experience of it was great and the people conducting the tour (Tony)were funny and great. That night we ate in the Galaxy restaurant, it was fine. My boyfriend loves it. He ordered 2 of the lobster and shrimp. I couldn't enjoy it since I'm allergic to shellfish.

BARBADOS--MY bf's favorite port. This place is really busy. It has a great indoor place where there were tons of stores to buy trinkets. We took a shuttle to the BOATYARD. $15pp this includes, 2 chairs, an umbrella, a free drink and access to all the water equipment on the island excluding the jet skis. The Boatyard was very lively. It reminded me of spring break on MTV. My bf and I got some food, which was really good and then went jet skiing. Oh my gosh was it fun. Scary but fun. The men who were handling the jet skiis kept arguing with eachother on who was going to let us get on their jet ski. My bf and I just looked at eachother and laughed and went with the guy who charged $45 for 35mins. We both never jet skied and my bf was ecstatic. He wants to buy one now. SERIOUSLY. A jet ski in new haven. HILARIOUS!! The water in Barbados was insanely salty but it was fun though.

St. Lucia-- I prearranged a tour with COSOL tours. We met at 8:30am. It was off and on showers but this day was GREAT. We didn't get Cosol but we got another driver, Adrian. He was funny and extremely informative. We took tons of pics and stopped at so many places. We visited the banana trees, fishing villages, drive-in volcanoes (it smelled like rotten eggs), the waterfalls, the botanical gardens, and swam between the pitons. The water was so clear and just great. The beach had a pier and on the other side of the pier were tons of fish. People can go snorkeling there. The place was great. Cosol tours fed us johnny cakes and fish, st. lucian cookies and bread and tons of other foods. We were stuffed. AND unlimited rum punch. If you don't take a tour in St. Lucia, you will be bored. This tour is great!! You learn so much about the island and its only $55. My bf was very impressed and grateful that we went. When we went to dinner that night, our dinner mates were sad they didn't go on the tour.

Antigua--We shopped around most of antigua at first because I needed to buy stuff for my coworkers. This place was very colorful and full of life. We sat down and ate some food then decided to take a tour of the island. My mother is from a neighboring island named Monserrat so I really wanted to know about this island. Our driver originally said the cost was going to be $120 but when my bf said for us to leave he dropped his price to $60. We hopped on that. He seemed to not know anywhere really to go. He took us to a beach that seemed home to all the locals but I knew of another beach thanks to cruise critic. So I told him to take us to Dickinson's bay. He did and it seemed like a resort. It was great and the water was great as well. Our driver waited for us but by that time, I didn't care. He only took us to 2 places to take tours and he didn't tell us about the island at all. All he got was the $60 and that was that. Oh well.

St. Kitts--We went shopping for a little while then took a water boat to Frigate Beach. The beach is really pretty, but the sand is EXTREMELY hot. My bf actually burned his feet on the sand. WHen we tried to go swimming, the water was filled with seaweed, shells, and rocks. All I heard my bf saying was "Oh ah Oh ah" I thought he was making it up but he was right. The further out you go, then you won't really feel it only because your feet can't touch the bottom. St. Kitts was cool but I just wished we had more time on the island. We had to be back on the ship by 3:30.

All in all, it was a great cruise. Formal nights were in Dominica and I believe Antigua. People said this boat is old, but I never seen any sign of it. It was in great shape and the staff was great as well. Everyone was courteous and friendly. We were on the 6th floor and had an inside. The room was not dark and it was spacious for 2 people. There were a few dents in the wall, but who doesn't have a dent in the wall in their house or apt. Our cabin steward, Ramon, was fabulous. HE always showed his face. He was always asking us how our day went and even when our towels got soaked from falling in the water from our kayaking experience they put the towel on a line for us to dry off. They were great. I even came back to the room once and had a money for a towel animal sitting on the bed wearing my sunglasses. He was great. The food was great as well. I tried a lot of new foods and so did my bf. We actually found out we love wild mushroom soup. Our waiter, Jonathan from Philippines was great. I joked around with my bf alot saying he was Jonathan's favorite because he always went to him first and made sure he hooked him up. We never went into any of the pools of on the ship, our dinner mates said it was salt water (yuck). But the hot tubs were filled with kids and in the back of the lido deck (The adult only side)there were always couples in the hot tub and in the pool. It seemed like fun but my bf and I preferred the ocean. We saw 3 shows. One of the main shows--it seemed a little cheesy. Destiny idol was great. The judges were funny and we saw the magic show which was fun as well.

WE LOVED THIS SHIP AND WOULD DEFINITELY DO IT AGAIN. ALL THE PORTS WERE GREAT. SOME BETTER THAN OTHERS BUT WE WILL ALWAYS LOVE DESTINY!!!

Publication Date: 04/22/08