Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by jimsgirl: Nursery Rhyme , some good some bad

jimsgirl
Member Since 2002
4,285 Posts

Compare Prices on Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Southern Caribbean Cruises

Nursery Rhyme , some good some bad

Sail Date: March 2008
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

This trip covered, Cristobal, Southern/Eastern Caribbean. and like the nursery rhyme, " when it was good it was very good, when it was bad it was horrid"

Booked through a Travel Agent in Florida. I flew from Fort Myers to New York, and in reverse on the journey back. (on the journey home my plane arrived 4 hours late at Fort Myers, but that was not the fault of Cunard of course)

On arrival in New York, the so called "meet and assist" was appalling, the girl too busy chatting privately on her cell phone to bother with mere passengers. The transport to the hotel was a very old "ratty" van, at the Hotel, the Cunard desk person was as bad as at the airport, too busy chatting on her cell phone to give out required information. Cunard need to hire a better "sub contractor". It seemed to me that these people were "day hire " people not professionals. Next day was better, The bus arrived on time, and at the terminal, I received the assistance I needed and was soon in my More cabin.

The cabin was as expected, next to the laundry was a disadvantage, no noise from the machines, but people felt it was a place to socialize, so I got loud laughter and conversations all the time the laundry was being used. I would not take that cabin again.

Food I felt was good, but this is just a personal opinion. The dining service (and also cabin service) were areas that showed QM2 had lost experienced staff to QV. My table for dinner had good service but breakfast and lunch on several days was very bad , table not correctly laid , orders came up wrong, one waiter when told I required the entree served "without the cabbage" told me I had to "take it as the kitchen served it, if you don't want the cabbage, don't eat it, just leave it on the plate"

Entertainment was on the whole good, though I did not go to the Planetarium shows. The in cabin TV movies were spoiled by Cunard NOT giving information in paper form as to what was on when and on which channel. This would be a big service improvement for no real cost to the cruise line.

Lectures were good and In enjoyed them.

Timing: The ship staff doing the scheduling seemed to have problems making up their collective minds, every day something was changed , events were changed, dress code was changed, a Country and Western evening suddenly announced, for which no one was prepared. The Balls in the Queens room were so late I never got to them,so never got to wear the "mask" I had purchased. If Cunard are going to have a "masked" evening it could be the full evening not just a 75 min "do" starting at 10p.m. Same remarks apply to any other special event evening , no one wants to go to their cabins and change outfits that late at night for just a short time in just one room.

Winter Garden, an area under used. (if you do not count those ghastly so call "art auctions) This area could be used far more, makeup sessions, lectures, get togethers for crafters, antique cars , ex military , so many small specialized events that would appeal to various like minded passengers.

The ship as always was beautiful, though in some places housekeeping could have done a better job, simple things, like my cabin needed a good vacuum of the carpet, and maybe a spot clean in places. My cabin service was spotty, some days no clean towels, some days no ice. and on two occasions the attendant ignored the "do not disturb " sign on the door. One afternoon I was half asleep in bed in the dark , when the light went on, another time , I had showered, and being alone I walked out of the bathroom, naked, only to have the door open and there was the girl! She could have got a big shock if the cabin had been occupied by a young married couple, instead of an 80+ wrinkled old lady!!!! She said she was checking the Ice container to see if it needed filling.

None of the adverse remarks above spoiled my cruise, I had a most pleasant trip, very good CC group, and an excellent table for dinner, this is simply my view of this particular cruise.

Go on the ship again , absolutely. Looking for the 2009 brochures Less