Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by Techguy7777: Awesome Ship

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Liberty Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Awesome Ship

Sail Date: March 2008

Traveled with family of 5, me, wife, 18,15,and 9 year old on March 29th 8 day Eastern Caribbean. 5th cruise overall, 2nd on Carnival.

Embarkation - Arrived at 10:30am, no line. Had to change room assignments and Carnival handled it flawlessly. We were on the ship by 11:30 and eating lunch. Rooms were ready at 1:30.

Rooms - Had 2 rooms, 1317 on Deck 1 and 7224 on Deck 7. Deck 7 interior was a hair smaller than my Deck 1 on Legend, but still plenty big enough. Deck 7 was perfect. 2 flights up for food and pool. 2 decks down for casino and shows.

Food - Alot of people have been knocking the food on here... Not sure why. I thought it was great. Breakfast buffet is a little weak, but dining room had lots of variety and my lobster wasn't tough at all. Beef was terrific. Sushi bar and fish and chips locations were a nice alternative. Don;t bother with the Gala Midnight Buffet (12:30)... not nearly as good as on the Legend. I was pretty surprised. More

Entertainment - I am not a real Vegas show fan, but these were very enjoyable. The Rockin Broadway show was awesome. The tribute to Frank and Sammy was a mess. The entertainer they bring in is way too self indulgent to do the songs as a tribute. It's more of a tribute to himself. Liberty Idol was interesting, first comic was really funny, second was just ok.

My family did lots of activities. Son was on Family Feud, wife did bingo, trivia, etc. The big screen at the pool is way better than I expected.

Camp Carnival - My 9 year old boy could check himself in and out and had a blast. He had the run of the ship and checked in with us as needed. There were tons of activities and the staff was very good.

Public Areas - Fantastic! Casino has some smoke, but no where near as bad as some reviews have portrayed. I have had cornea transplants and hate smoke...but I enjoy casinos more...lol It really was ok. Go to the piano bar and see Vince. The floor show and sing along around midnight is too funny. The whole boat is decorated very well. On the LEgend, it was a bit cruise shippy, The Liberty is more like a vegas hotel.

Ports - Book excursions ASAP.. they fill up on this ship very fast.

San Juan - Don;t miss the arrival. Great views and pictures of the old fort. Senior Frogs is the place to be or get something to eat.

Too Windy in ST. Thomas. Some excursions were cancelled. Our private Jetski and snorkel was cancelled. Island is amazing though.

Antigua - all the excursions we wanted were full. Weather was iffy so we just walked around some and relaxed on board.

Tortola - Went to the Baths at Virgin Gorda on our own. Paid $140 vs. $400 from Carnival for family of 5. DO NOT MISS THIS. You have to see it once. Gorgeous views, great beach and something I have never seen before in these huge rocks and caves. Go to Mad Dog's shack on the top of the hill for cheap drinks and food.

NOTE: We booked Speedy's who sold us a 2pm return... then cancelled the ferry and didn't notify us. Their rep on Virgin Gorda got us on the 2:15 SMiths Ferry. Just made the boat departure. Stay on Smith's.

Nassau - Did the Carnival Sail and Snorkel for $45/person. Only 2.5 hours and lots of people, but the harbor tour and snorkel site make this a great deal. My boys and I had a great time.

Service - Been on Disney twice, Royal Caribbean once, and now Carnival twice. The service on this ship is very, very good. The staff was always smiling and saying hello. Cabin Steward was excellent. Dining room staff was good but a little over taxed which caused some slow service at times, but nothing to wig out about.

Summary Love this itinerary. Have done the Western Caribbean a couple times and will most likely never go back. The Eastern islands are much better (Grand Cayman is the exception). The 8 day is only one day longer than the 7, but feels much longer. This ship is rated #1 Megaship by some cruising magazine and I whole heartedly agree. We will cruise this ship again. Email me for any questions and I will answer what I can. Less

Read more Carnival Liberty cruise reviews >>