Carnival Pride Cruise Review by Kween81

Member Name: Kween81
Cruise Date: March 2008
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Mexican Riviera

Not quite what we'd hoped for
My husband and I took a delayed honeymoon on the Carnival Pride and left feeling so-so. The food was good and the cabin was nice, albeit small for such an expensive price, but the service was lacking. Over a week before leaving I called Carnival to pre-book our shore excursions for Puerto Vallarta and Cabo and was told that I could only do it online. Being on-line savvy, I had no problem with this. I booked the excursions (the canopy zip line in PV and the horseback riding in Cabo) and received a receipt with a confirmation number and a booking number. After the reading the newsletter on the second day, we learned that the tickets should have been delivered to our stateroom the previous night. I immediately went to the information desk and presented the woman with our information, including the receipt and she rudely asked "where did you get this from" even though it had the Carnival on-line banner and web address on the paper. When I explained that i had already paid nearly $500 and that Carnival had already deducted the money from my bank account, she told me that there was no record of us and that there was nothing that she could do, and by the way, that excursion is now sold out. She was extremely unsympathetic and uncompassionate. She advised us to wait until the next morning and talk to the excursion desk. As soon as the desk opened, I presented my material to a Mr. Shawn DeSilva, who promptly informed me that there was no record of our reservations, nor would they honor my confirmation or receipt. He reiterated the fact that the excursion was booked and that there was nothing that he could do. They wouldn't comp us the difference on a different excursion and didn't even attempt to contact the company to find out what was going on. He wouldn't provide us with a phone number of anyone to contact, and in fact, he rudely told me to "write a letter". He then proceeded to inform me that if we still wanted to do the horseback riding, we would have to pay for the trip a second time. He was cold and unsympathetic, acting as though we had done something wrong. He even tried to tell me that I had booked it incorrectly online, to which I responded "well, you had no problem taking the money out of bank account that same night". I was outraged at the lack of customer service on a cruise that we had spent over $3,000 on. When I got home, I received a letter stating that my money would be put back in the account in 8-10 days and sorry for the inconvenience...yeah right!

Like a previous reviewer, we found the waiters in the dining room to be pleasant and helpful, but the staff on the Lido deck (especially the women) were cold and rude. The hostess in the normandie dining room was snotty.

The Cabin stewards were very nice and on the ball. Our bed must have been made 3 times a day, and you have to love the towel animals.

The pools were tiny and freezing and you had to get out on deck before 8 am if you wanted a lounge chair.

The art in the hallways was atrocious (think pencil sketches of naked people) and done in the most hideous colors (lime green and orange).

The internet is 75cents a minute and is EXTREMELY SLOW (which is awfully convenient when you charge by the minute) and the phone is 6.99 a minute.

The embarkation and disembarkation takes FOREVER...think hours...

The cruise direction, Jeff Brrrronson (as he calls himself), is a total cheeseball and the entertainment, except for Jerome the comedian, was a joke (and not a funny one). I felt bad for some of the acts, as it was embarrassing to watch them bomb on stage.

The water on the ship and in the restaurants tastes like that dog was washed in it (why not when you charge 6$ for a bottle of H20) and the toilet paper was like sandpaper...ok, maybe now I'm getting nitpicky, but oh well! oh, yeah, and The hallways on decks 2 and 3 stunk like the toilets were backed up constantly.

We will cruise again, but definitely not on Carnival. This was my first cruise and, except for the dining room food, I was fairly disappointed. I wish I would have jumped over the excursion counter and strangled that unhelpful, rude, and uncompassionate jerk.

I wish I had done my homework before we spent so much money...hope this helps others...

Publication Date: 04/04/08