“Not What I Expected”

CedarburgCruiser
Member Since 2008
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
I had high hopes for my last cruise on Freedom of the Seas as I always do when I board a Royal Caribbean Ship.

First the good side of the cruise. The bar service team was outstanding. You could always find someone to order a drink from weather it was a glass of water at the pool or a bucket of beers. The bar servers were very friendly all the time.

The concierge club was great as well. I actually received an email the week before the cruise to set up any dining or spa reservations ahead of time. When I was able to get to my room all the reservations were waiting for me. This saved me all the running around the ship setting up these appointments and I was able to go to the pool and relax.

Chops and Portofino's was excellent as normal. If you have never spent the extra to dine in either of these restaurants do it. It is totally worth the extra charge. My wife and I have been thinking about booking dinner in both restaurants for the whole week.

The last thing I found to very good about the ship was that the cruise ship stopped in the middle of night on our first sea day to help a sail boat that was in distress. The captain kept the Freedom with the sail boat until the Coast Guard arrived to escort the sail boat.

Now on to what I did not like, which does not happen very often on RCCL.

The dining room was average at best for service. The first night of the cruise dinner went from 8:30 until 11:15. The waiter said this was due to a new menu. The problem was it was the same menu we have had on all of the other RCCL cruises we have been on (8). They did pick up the pace after we said something to the Diamond Concierge. She must have called the dining room after we told her about our first night at dinner because everything picked up after that.

The cruise staff on this ship were rude as well. We went to the ice show with my 9 year old daughter and one of the waitresses told us to move down to some reserve seats so my daughter could ride in a pirate ship during the show. I went back for my camera and when I got back my wife told me that a cruise staff person yelled at her and made her feel like she had done something wrong.

I actually thought I was on a Carnival Cruise at this point.

Overall the cruise was fun and would do it again.

Freedom of the Seas Cruises to the Western Caribbean

No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Freedom of the Seas Review
Freedom of the Seas Cruises to the Western Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?