Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by octane252

Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Member Name: octane252
Cruise Date: March 2008
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: Ins
See More About: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Cunard Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Not that bad!
Embarkation- The lines were long but moved smoothly. Once on board we found our stateroom without difficulty. We were greeted by our steward "Eric" who was not often seen but was efficient in keeping the room tidy. My wife and I brought two bottles of wine onboard to drink in the room as we were celebrating our first trip together without our children. I would have thought an attentive steward would have supplied two wineglasses, but it was not to be. Eric lost points for that. We still tipped him extra but he would have received more had the glasses not been overlooked. Our room was large enough for an inside room. We had plenty of space for storage with three closets and several drawers. The hairdryer in the top drawer was a letdown for my wife as she couldn't use it in the bathroom and I couldn't watch TV while she dried her hair. A minor inconvenience though.

Dining- We dined in the main Britannia restaurant during the 1st seating. We had a table for two. Our two waitresses were attentive, efficient and friendly. We always had water, bread and our meals were served hot, although it did seem rushed. Our wine steward was very busy and was excellent for three of the four nights. One night we waited until desert for our dinner wines. Lunch in the Britannia was a different story. We always offered to dine at a big table as to meet other guests. The conversation was easily the best part of the meal. The waiters seemed overworked and put out by any "special request" such as coffee before desert! How dare we! The wait was painfully long but the food was very good once served. The waiting was made easier because our tablemates were fun and interesting.

Entertainment- The shows were not up to the standards I would have expected from Cunard. The banjo and piano player were capable and interesting for a little while, but the banjo was not the most popular instrument with the New York crowd. The other shows were just OK. The comedian was excellent, however and everyone I spoke to enjoyed him. The Golden Lion was a nice place to hang out and have a nice pub lunch and a cold beer. The piano players in both the pub and the Martini bar were just OK also. They seemed to mumble most of the lyrics although their playing was superb.

Overall- It was a fun getaway for the weekend, I always wanted to sail the QM2 and now that I have that out of my system, I can book the 9 day Princess cruise to the Caribbean out of the same Brooklyn port that I absolutely loved in 2006.

Publication Date: 03/30/08