Carnival Valor Cruise Review by 2mygirl2

Member Name: 2mygirl2
Cruise Date: March 2008
        7-9 2.0

A little disappointed
We left out of Miami on Sunday. This was our second cruise. The first one was also a Carnival Cruise (Triumph last March). The layout of the ship was almost identical to the Triumph, so we felt at home. Our cabin, 8268, on Verandah deck was spacious and nice. Cabin steward, Emilse, did a wonderful job. Cabin was directly across from Steward closet, so we heard a little noise in the mornings beginning about 7am. Not a big deal for us as that is about when we got up anyway.

The most disappointing part of a cruise was our dining experience. We had Reynold as our head waiter. He was horrible. He got one meal correct out of 7! The last night I ordered fruit plate and got escargot. Each night he made horrible mistakes like that. It was a joke at our table- what is he going to mess up tonight?? None of us complained, we were optimistic that the next night would be better. We should have. I have learned, and next time will complain to the Maitre d right away. I should have reversed tips, it was that bad- but I know a portion of the tips go to other food servers as well and it would not have been fair to them. He did almost ruin our cruise though. We dreaded seeing him each night and were in a not so good mood by the time dinner was over each night. He did not have a pleasant personality and was not friendly. I almost think he made the mistakes intentionally. Learn from our mistake and complain immediately! Our assist waiter was very sweet and thanked us each evening and said "Maybe tomorrow will be better" as we left.

Food was average. Not as good as last year. Pizza and calzones were excellent on lido deck. Did not care for fish and chips -was too greasy for my taste- but my husband liked it.

Itinerary was nice. Grand cayman, Honduras, belize, and cozumel. We did our own excursions. I heard many people complaining that the carnival excursions were cancelled due to various reasons. We only had one snorkeling excursion cancelled due to high winds. Ship can not help that. We did tender in Grand cayman and Belize. Not a big deal in Grand cayman, but very hectic in Belize as you are a 20 minute tender ride form island.

I did witness the assistant cruise director, Dominick, being really rude to an old lady trying to get a tender ticket in Grand cayman. Lady was just doing what caper said to get to island and Dominick went off on her and told her to go eat breakfast and come back later. When the lady left Dominick told her associate that she was ready to go back to her cabin already! Maybe she should get off the boat completely!

Most of the crew was pleasant. I did encounter a group of carnival employees talking at the Java coffee shop about how they cant wait for the week to be over. I am not sure why??? It was a full ship, but I did not witness any unruly passengers. I felt like they should have talked else where in private. When I am vacationing, the last thing I want to hear about is their problems.

The ship was full. Rosie's ran out of trays, cups, plates constantly. This got annoying. I know there was a lot of people on board, but they need to plan for this. The food was always fresh as a result though!

Gym was very nice. Great views while on the treadmill.

Nine year old daughter did not enjoy camp carnival. She said the counselors were mean. She went first day for about 3 hours. She refused to go after that.

Shows were very good. We went to 3 or 4. I did find that the last show, The legends, was almost identical to what was on the triumph. Also, cruise director's jokes, were same as cruise director's on triumphs. I guess they share. I was hoping for original.

I hate to complain. I had high expectations for this cruise, as my last one was 5 star! We felt special every single night on the Triumph! I think it is time to try a different cruise line for a while. Maybe visit carnival once every few years.

Publication Date: 03/26/08