Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by LoveLife: Many Ups & A Few Downs!

LoveLife
Member Since 2007
1,076 Posts

Compare Prices on Radiance of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Many Ups & A Few Downs!

Sail Date: February 2008

This was my second cruise (first was on Carnival) and my husband's first. We traveled with another couple, all of us being in our 30's. We didn't take any of our kids. After a long red eye flight into Fort Lauderdale, all we wanted to do was get on the ship and relax! First of all, we were greeted at the airport by very friendly staff and it was a very organized trip from the airport to the port. Second, I was so impressed at how quickly and smoothly we got through the line and onto the ship. We were on the 8th floor and I think it was the only floor that the rooms weren't ready yet, but we went on up to the Windjammer and had some lunch and a few drinks. We always thought the Windjammer's food was good. We tried to always sit in the same area because there was a great waiter there and brought us our coke's and coffee so fast. By the time we were done with lunch and walked around to view the ship for a bit, our room was ready and half our luggage was already there! The rest arrived More about an hour later.

Our room was ok....I loved the space and shelves in the closet. The bed was pretty comfortable and we loved the balcony. The bathroom, however, smelled just like it hadn't been cleaned for weeks (although it looked clean). Urine smell so bad - and our friends' bathroom was smelly too! YUK! Our room attendant was so great! Well above average and we always saw her in the hallway with a smile! We used room service once and it was so great. We ate in the dining room all nights except one for dinner and loved loved loved our waiters!! They were so great! Always friendly and joking and smiling. We always had a good time at dinner. The food was great and we all ate so MUCH!!! We never did eat in the dining room for breakfast, which we wish we would have at least once. We were always too busy and headed to an excursion.

We attended a few of the shows - some good and others we could have done without. We liked the pools and the poolside entertainment. Us girl's even talked our husband's into entering the BellyFlop Contest and the Sexy Leg Contest. It was hilarious and a good time for all. We enjoyed the Love and Marriage Show. The comedians were good. Bingo was a rip off!! Miniature Golf was fun and never crowded! The husband's played the casino twice and lost about 50 bucks each time.

We booked a excursion in each port (pre-cruise) and loved them all. Key West -- Pub Tour. We had a BLAST!! Maybe a little too much fun, but never did get too out of control and still made it to the first formal night. Loved the area! Cozumel -- Mini Jeep and Snorkel Adventure. This excursion was nice. It was super great weather. Although we would have liked some more "off road" adventure. Once we got to the beach, we went snorkeling, which was very long and a lot of work, but enjoyable. We had time to rinse off and that's all. Then it was back to the mini jeep and a long ride back to the bus. By the time we got back to pier, we had only 10 minutes until we had to be back on board. Thank goodness the shops right there by port had the things that the kids "requested"! Grand Cayman -- Sting Ray's. We all thought this was a great tour. After getting on a very crowded tour bus, we stopped at the Turtle Farm, which was about average (would have been great with the kids). After almost getting left by the bus, we stopped at the rum cake factory. BAD IDEA! Nothing like trying to fit 100 people in a room designed to hold 10 at the most! We took one step inside and walked right back out and waited in the bus. Next was onto HELL. This was my second time here, the rest of my parties first. I think it's a neat little visit. We sent the kids some postcard's (which got to our house 6 days after we got home - it's always the thought that counts Right?) and took some pictures and it was time to go. We then drove a short way and boarded a boat that took us out to the sandbar with the sting ray's. Again, my second time - the others first. We all got in the water and took pictures and fed the sting ray's. The weather was perfect and the sun was shining and wonderful. Once we got back to the pier, again we only had a few minutes to grab some suv's and get back on board. Grand Cayman was very pretty I thought and wish we would have had time to at least walk down the beach and visit a few places. MOBay -- Canopy Tour. Loved It Loved It!!! The guides were so funny and kept us all entertained and laughing. The zip-line's were so great! I'm glad that we booked a tour away from the downtown area, because of what we saw of it, we didn't want to be there. We arrived back to the ship early, got a few suv's again and got right on the ship. We went to the pool and enjoyed the rest of the day and another formal dinner! Our last day on the ship was a little rainy on and off and a lot of movement from the ship which made 2 of the four of us sick. We took the opportunity to actually lay down in our cabin and take a nap, for the first time in 6 days! After that, we felt a lot better and got ready and went to dinner. We then had a few drinks in the lounge and since there was no other entertainment, we attended the Karaoke Finals. It was about average. I never knew so many men in their 40's & 50's liked to karaoke. It was just ok. I was impressed with RCI and would sail with them again in the future. Next time though, it's with the kids and on Carnival's Pride to Mexico in Feb 2009. There was not a lot of kids on Radiance, which was nice because we didn't have ours. I hate when I don't take my kids on vacation and I see a bunch of cuties. It makes me feel guilty and missing my kids so much. =) So it was nice being away and enjoying ourselves without a bunch of kids running around.

We had so much fun and hated coming home to laundry and making our own bed. We were pampered and waited on very well!! I loved the staff! Every single one that we came in contact with was GREAT!!! ABOVE AVERAGE!! Just a great cruise all together!! Great Weather!! (we left and came home to 20's)BRrrr!! Less

Read more Radiance of the Seas cruise reviews >>