Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by shoppermel

Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Spa & Fitness 5+

Sun and Fun
I will start off by saying this was not our first cruise. Both my husband and myself have been on several cruises in the past. We traveled with a group of 20 on this one. This was the groups second cruise together. Every one in the group had also been on many individual cruises in the past as well.

Coming from the Northeast ,of the U.S.A., we all arrived in San Juan on Friday to make sure we were all able to get there. We arrived at the port Saturday at approximately 1230 PM. Every single person in our party received their luggage by mid afternoon except my husband. I had 2 suitcases arrive , he had nothing. After speaking with guest relations they asked him to come down and look at 2 bags that weren't marked clearly maybe one was his and it wasn't. He did receive his bag close to 9PM that night. We found this unacceptable. Guest relations really did not care.

In a nutshell more than likely we will NOT be rejoining Celebrity any time soon. I found the spa prices extraordinarily high as well as the wine prices. The only "ship" excursion we all went on was the Wacky River Tubing which in itself was excellent. However they should not brag how at the end of the excursion there are refreshments. For 50 people on the excursion each person received, if they were lucky, one ounce of rum punch and maybe an inch long piece of fresh coconut or mango, which was delicious but not sufficient. I can't tell you if that is the cruise lines fault or not.

When getting off the ships at different islands we would walk along the local roads and ask cab drivers to take us to beaches where snorkeling was good. We made arrangements when we wanted to be picked up and they were always there on time to bring us back to the ship.

In Bonaire we went to Bongos Beach and it was thee best snorkeling I've ever seen. I have snorkeled in many many places in the Caribbean and this was hands down the best.

In Grenada we hopped on a water taxi and we went to the beach NEXT to Grand Anse beach. Again great snorkeling and gorgeous beach.

Grenada and Dominica were the 2 islands with the most aggressive locals. They really stopped at nothing until you purchased something from them. I was relieved it wasn't like that on all the other islands.

The comedian Fred Klett on Summit was fantastic. We all found him extremely entertaining. The other shows were only I felt OK.

The casino could have been a little more generous with payoffs. We also found bingo to be a huge rip off. 30 bucks each to get in and pay offs as low as 84 dollars? Give me a break!

Revelations night club was a blast. The DJ would play anything you requested. One night our group had almost the whole club to ourselves.

One of the biggest annoyances we found was at breakfast every morning. We felt like we were being harassed by the crew to purchase water for shore excursions. After being asked 3 times in the same sitting I thought my husband would blow his stack! Come on now.

Getting off the ship was sometimes annoying too with the picture taking. No, means No, not maybe. I know they have a job to do but stop already.

I found the gym and the equipment state of the art. I was very impressed with that. Our waiter Judy and his assistant Errol were very nice. Couldn't have done enough for us. We gave Judy a Red Sox shirt when we found out how much he loved the Red Sox.

I found the activities staff very pleasant and helpful. Our cabin steward did his job, basically. I have nothing more to say about him.

We did find it strange how you couldn't find something sweet to eat after midnight on the entire ship. You had to go back to your room and order room service. We did that one night at midnight. After being on many Royal Caribbean ships there was never a problem getting a snack at odd hours.

We also found the "wine menu" changed from bar to bar. As did the prices. This was very unsettling to my husband. He did bring this concern to guest relations who turfed it to the "beverage manager" who we would "hear from" which we never did. Not good customer service.

We did take advantage of the valet service on disembarking which we found very helpful.

All in all it wasn't a bad vacation, no such thing as that in my eyes. We will definitely cruise again. Just maybe not Celebrity.

Publication Date: 03/10/08