Costa Mediterranea Cruise Review by markbuick76: floating infirmary

Member Since 2006

Compare Prices on Costa Mediterranea Eastern Caribbean Cruises

floating infirmary

Sail Date: February 2008

A little bit about my cruise experience. I have cruised seven times and have cruised on the Mediterranea in 2005. We cruised with my wife, two children (7 an 12), sister, her husband and her two children (9 and 14). We booked the cruise for $2147 for four of us which is a great deal for a cabin with a balcony on a holiday week. A month after booking the cruise Costa added a fuel surcharge of $35 per adult. I was not Happy about this. After booking one price and putting a deposit on it, they jack up the price. But overall I still feel I got a good price.

To start embarkation was super quick as we missed a flight connection in Cleveland and landed in Miami at 3:15. Long story short we almost missed the cruise and was the last family on the ship. So we basically ran onto the ship.

The Cabin was spacious. The carpet could have used a good cleaning as there were stains on it. The beds were firm, but comfortable. The cabin steward did a good job and replaced the towels More twice a day.

Here is where the fun ended. It appears that there was a virus going around the ship. My Brother in law got it first and never left the cabin. The symptoms were flu like with fever. I started getting it on the 3rd or 4th day and ended up going to the infirmary. I spoke to several other people waiting to see the doctor that had the same thing. The doctor said it was going around the ship. I ended getting 3 painful antibiotic shots in my rump (ouch).

I cruised with Holland last year and it seems they did a better job of educating people about washing hands and handing out purell (hand sanitizer) all over the place. As for the food in the dinning room it was so so. The selection was horrible (at least for my taste) and I am not a picky eater. Like I said I have cruised on this ship once before and expected better. There was no lobster night which I always look forward to. I guess they are saving money. The service was shaky. The first night the service was horrible. So bad that the waiters apologized. They forgot some of the order, the wine steward never came to our table. There was a rowdy family at the next table with some children that were very undisciplined. The kids were loud and one of the kids was throwing food at us and the parents did nothing. We asked to be moved to another table and were accommodated. The service at the new table was much better with waiters with more personality.

The breakfast on the lido deck was average. The lines were not long. We often had the clear a table of dirty dishes ourselves to get a table.

It seemed that the ice and ice cream machines were often broken or empty.

I cant say much for the entertainment as we got sick and tried to rest as much as possible. I saw one show and it was pretty bad.

I don't think I will be cruising with Costa again. Less