Carnival Valor Cruise Review by Sweetest Sin: Fun Ship Lives Up To Its Name :)

Sweetest Sin
Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Carnival Valor Western Caribbean Cruises

Fun Ship Lives Up To Its Name :)

Sail Date: February 2008

OVERALL This was both my husband and mines second cruise. We thought the entire experience was great. This was a school vacation week, and we had expected to see a ship overrun by children, and we hardly even noticed them aboard, and the ones we did see were always polite. I really enjoyed going to Honduras and Belize (we had been to Grand Cayman and Cozumel on our prior cruise); having the cruise so port intensive was tiring though, and I was glad for the last day to be a sea day. We had a great cruise and we are already looking to book another, this time taking our 8-year-old daughter along.

DINING We had originally asked for the 6:15 dining time, and got 8. I was actually glad to have the later seating as it gave us time to relax between getting back from port and having to get ready for dinner. We sat at a booth for 4, but we never had any tablemates. I was a bit disappointed in that, as I was looking forward to meeting new people.

I tried most of the different More dining options. I was overall very pleased with the dining room. We ate breakfast there most days. I loved the French toast! For dinner I was pleased with the selections, and I tried dishes that I've never had the opportunity to try before. Almost everything was very good. My husband did not care for the lobster (I did not try it); being from Maine we are used to very fresh lobster and are quite picky about it. Also, the filet in Scarlett's was much better than in the dining room. Scarlett's was exceptional; everyone should try it at least once. I thought the buffet was average. We only ate dinner there once, and only had lunch on embarkation day. I thought the deli was great, and also enjoyed the fish and chips place, and sushi. I am no sushi expert, and I'm not really sure if it was good or not. I liked it fine. My husband loved the 24-hour pizza. The burgers were also okay.

PUBLIC ROOMS I was a little bit worried about the Valor dEcor prior to boarding; I had heard that it was ugly and over the top. I was pleased when I boarded to see how the heroes theme was used throughout the ship, but subtle, not garish at all. The only public area I didn't like from an aesthetic point was the lime green of Rosie's. Otherwise, I thought it was a beautiful ship.

CABINS We were in cabin 8202, a balcony on the port side, right behind the bridge wing. Since it was at the very end of the hall it was nice and quiet. I thought the size of the room was sufficient for the two of us. The balcony was the right size to sit and read. Our cabin steward was great. He kept our ice filled, even though we never had specifically made that request, and I thought that it was a nice touch.

ENTERTAINMENT I enjoyed the lido band on sea days. The only shows I saw were the hypnotist and the Legends show. I thought the hypnotist was a riot. The Legends show was fun too. We enjoyed the band in the Paris Hot club too.

SPA & FITNESS We did a spa tour on embarkation day. I thought that the treatments were a bit pricey, and the only thing I had done was a mani/pedi, which was very nicely done. I never used the fitness center, although I swear I had the intentions to!

SHORE EXCURSIONS We did Carnival excursions. At Grand Cayman we did the Reef and Wreck snorkel. The snorkel sights are pretty much in front of the cruise ships. We saw quite a few fish at the reef, but the wreck sight was very crowded and we only spent a few minutes in the water. I was a little disappointed.

In Roatan, Honduras we did the Canopy and Gumbalimba Park tour. I thought the jungle was beautiful and zip lining was a blast! I would do this excursion over again for sure. I am afraid of heights, and was at first very scared, but once I did a couple of lines it was fantastic! The Gumbalimba park tour was also interesting. I loved the monkeys! They were so cute, and I wish I could take one home with me!

In Belize we did the Barrier Reef and Beach thing. I enjoyed this very much; there was a lot of sea life, both fish and coral. My husband was having mask problems so he stayed on the boat. I'm not sure if it was exceptionally rough, but there seemed to be quite a few people that needed to be rescued, and we were not in the water for the full hour that we were originally supposed to do. After we went to Barrister Caye.

In Cozumel we did our own thing by going to Paradise Beach.

EMBARKATION Both embarkation and debarkation went very smoothly. We were on the ship within ½ hour of getting to the terminal. Since we had done cruise air, our bags were taken directly from the plane to the ship, so we didn't even need to worry about them. Less

Read more Carnival Valor cruise reviews >>