Costa Concordia, A Look Back Cruise Review by Rodomaster: Sunny but cool Med journey

Rodomaster
Member Since 2008

Sunny but cool Med journey

Sail Date: February 2008
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

First of all I would like to thank all the people that submit these reviews. This was a first-time cruise for my wife & I,and we weren't sure what to expect. I was surprised there were so many Americans & Brits on this cruise. There were also a lot of Asians, Japanese & Chinese along with Germans & French.

I've read complaints from other Americans about all the other languages on the ship. Well dah!If you book a European cruise line like Costa, you should expect this.

If you want everything in English, then why are you in Europe? Most educated Europeans and Asians speak English. I enjoyed meeting many different people from Asia & Europe that spoke English at the lunch table or around the pool at deck 9.

The food at dinner was nothing to write home about. OK but nothing special.

If you take a Med cruise in February, don't pay extra for a balcony cabin. The wind is too cold to use it. We had mostly sunny days at 59- 62 F. More

I assumed going in February the tourist sites like the Parthenon in Athens or Ephasus in Turkey would not be crowded-WRONG!

I don't even want to imagine what they are like in the summer tourist season!

If you want to see some sights of ancient history in the Med then Costa can take you there. Instead of buying their bus tours, with 3 or more people, you'll do better to rent a cab from all the taxi guys waiting for you as you leave the ship at each port.

The Costa prices are good for a Med tour. Just be aware the bar bill is in Euros. If you like to hoist a few,and are paid in US dollars you will pay dearly for that!

Overall we had no major complaints about the Costa Concordia. They do tend to nickle & dime you to death, but at least there wasn't a meter on the toilet paper dispenser in our bathroom.

The bars play mostly easy-listening Euro-Pop. I just wish they had one bar with a band that played some good Rock!

If you want to see some historical sites in the off-season, this is a good way to do it. Less

Read more Costa Concordia, A Look Back cruise reviews >>