Carnival Destiny Cruise Review by judcost

Cruise Date: February 2008
Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: 6c
See More About: Carnival Destiny Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Spa & Fitness 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Loved it !
I'm not gonna go in details with the port of call, it depends on what you like and you'll get ALL the information on the boards for each port of call, it's VERY helpful.

I traveled with my husband and my parents, we're in our early 30s and parents are in there 60s. It was our second trip with carnival and in all. It was my parents third cruise but first with Carnival, the cruised with Royal Caribbean. At first we were kinda scared for them because it's younger, louder and people drink more, but THEY LOOOOOOOOOOOVED it.

PORTS

About La Romana, people say it's dirty and that the Dominicans are aggressive and that it's not worth going. FALSE, NOT TRUE, DON'T LISTEN TO THEM. I was very surprise when we got there after all the things I've red about La Romana. We were there for 2 days, from 4pm to 5pm the next day. When you get to the port it's not as developed as the others, because it's quite new, but you can see they are working on that. First of all, they are always mini vans waiting for you to take you down town, to Casa de Campo, to the Marina or to the beach. I don't think you'll get a city tour unless you book it with the cruise. When we got to the La Romana Port we went downtown which is 5$ round trip. When you get there you'll have a lot of vendors, they are aggressive but not dangerous. You can buy souvenirs, paints, cigars and other. We book the Kandelà show with Carnival (DON'T DO IT ON YOU OWN, you'll need a taxi and I don't think you can catch one around 8pm), the site is AMAZING. The next day we went to the beach. FOR NOW, either you book with Carnival or take the mini-vans from the port. I WOULDN'T TAKE AN UNMARKED TAXI or grab a cab in down town La Romana. We were all surprised to enjoy La Romana that much.

For the other ports it's very helpful to read the boards.

EMBARKATION

We took a cab from the San Juan airport, 21.50$ for the 4 of us. Don't take the transfers, it was about 60$ each from our company, so NOT worth it. The port is about 15 minutes from the airport so we saved about 190$. We arrived at about 5:00-5:30 The embarkation took about 10 minutes.

FOOD AND SERVICE

We had a late seating and were able to get a table together for 4 after talking with the Assistant Maître D', just go right to the restaurant when you get on board. Food was very good as usual and if you don't like what you choose just ask your waiter to bring you another choice, that way it's impossible to have a bad experience with the food, if you do, you deserve to stay at home and cook your OWN food. We ALWAYS eat at the restaurant for dinner and breakfast (when possible), better food, better service. Lunch is not really important for me, but you do have a lot of choice. Only problem is that there was a lot of dust on our desk, I mean the bottled water and cokes were COVERED with dust, we were not gonna take them anyways, but still, a little nasty. And our bottled water was open, we noticed that when they charged us. They should check the rooms better when the passengers leave the room at the end of their trip. And what a hassle to be credited for that. It's not the 3.50$, it's just the principle. We didn't insist because the steward was soooooooooo nice.

THE BOAT

Destiny is a little old and it shows a little with the bathroom and some part of the boat but just slightly. Whatever the boards say, Puerto Ricans or not louder than other nationalities, if you don't wanna hear noise, STAY HOME. Everybody is there to have a good time.

If you like to sunbathe on the deck while at seas this it not the itinerary for you, you'll be decking every single day (and I loved it).

THE SHOWS

I always go to all the shows and they're pretty good.

CONS: the dust on the vanity, the 5-10 pounds I gained PROS: everything else

You'll love this trip if you take it, we did!!!!

Publication Date: 02/22/08