Carnival Legend Cruise Review by Nik: Great Winter Getaway

Compare Prices on Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruises

Great Winter Getaway

Sail Date: January 2008
Embarkation: Tampa

This was my 9th cruise with Carnival. There were four of us, two of us flew in a week before to Florida and the other two flew in two days prior. We had family drive us to the pier around 10:30 a.m. which was perfect timing. We were only minutes checking in and were on the ship by approx. 11:30. Our rooms weren't ready until 1:30, so we had lunch on the Lido and enjoyed the sun. Our boys (15 and 17) checked out the ship while we had a few beverages on deck.

Our rooms were 8102 and 8106...really enjoyed the location. Close to everything on the Lido, the gym, Co2 Club for the boys and it was quiet. Our room stewards did a great job as usual keeping our rooms clean and well stocked with ice and towels.

We really enjoy the sea days, and there were only two this cruise. We enjoy the peace and quiet of the deck..someone bringing you a drink..no phones :) and the boys were very content..no complaints all week.

I have been to Grand cayman and Cozumel a number of More times before, so I booked excursions for the other three to participate in at Grand Cayman. The three fella's did the Catamaran Stingray City tour with the ship..they loved it. I chose this one so they could experience the catamaran as well as the stingray swim. I walked around Georgetown and met my guys at Margaritaville for lunch. They couldn't stop talking about the fun they had.

Cozumel we went to Paradise Beach on our own. $15 taxi ride there and back to the ship for 4 of us. Their isn't a fee to use the beach just if you want to use the water toys. We paid the $10 each for the boys to use the water trampoline's, ice berg, kayaks etc. We really enjoyed our day here. I was a little disappointed in the water itself. It wasn't as clear as I have seen it and after a number of storms, there were some large rocks protruding in the water. We had a great time here. We left the beach and headed for Carlo's and Charlies. had a few beverages there, danced and took a few photo's and headed back to the ship. We would have liked to have had a few more hours here. There's a lot to do and see and you have to cram everything in.

Belize was our next stop. It was pouring rain all day. I booked my guys on the cavetubing tour with Yohny and Jimmy through the internet and I went to Bannister Island withthe ship tour. First cavetubing. My guys can't say enough about this group of guys..it was an amazing day for them. They highly recommend this tour group. They saw the good, the bad and the ugly of Belize. I went to Bannister Island. It was a beautiful beach, but it poured rain all day. I sat in the bar area for four hours. I would have liked the option of going back to the ship after two hours, but there wasn't any transportation back. It was cold, windy and very wet. I would try it again, only if the sun is shining.

Roatan..hands down our favorite stop. We booked the Tabyana Beach day through the ship. Wow...what a beautiful place. The beach was incredible, people were very friendly, water was incredible and so was the snorkeling. We would have liked to have had another hour or so there, but had to be back to ship by 2:30. We would definitely like to go back here for a week.

The food was very good. We ate in the dining every night but one. That night we ate at the deli..the sandwiches are very good. No complaints from any of us about the food. Always something for everyone at any time of the day.

Shows..we didn't go to all of them. What we did see was okay. They tried.

Lounges...we were disappointed that there wasn't much in the way of dance music before midnight this cruise. On most of the my other cruises, there was always dance music in the disco by 9 pm at the latest. After a full day ashore, I'm in bed by midnight. We didn't dance one night on this ship...no where to go until midnight.

The ship..I've been on a number of Carnival ships and I found the Legend hard to navigate. I don't know that I would go on this ship again if I had a choice...not that there was anything wrong with it, I just didn't care for the layout.

Debarkation was very, very slow. I don't know when I experienced such a slow debarkation. We waited for at least 2 hours to get off the ship. Because we aren't American, we couldn't do the self-assist debarkation here...we have at other ports, just not here, so we waited forever. We had paid for the Carnival transfers back to the Tampa airport which was worth it. There were four of us with lots of bags. It was painless and I would go this route again.

It was a great cruise. I always enjoy cruising with my family...something for everyone. It's a great value for your dollar especially with kids. Less

Read more Carnival Legend cruise reviews >>