Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by SoonerOne

Entertainment Not Rated
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Best Vacation Ever!!
My first cruise and hubby's second. This was the best vacation we have ever taken! We would recommend this ship and its itinerary to everyone!

We left Galveston and everything went very smoothly with one exception, FOG! It lifted though and we sailed away around 6:30 pm. No problem.....

The sea days were immensely relaxing, we explored the ship, the food selections and public areas. My husband was partial to the fish and chips at Sur Mer, he ate there every day at lunch. I loved the Chinese food and had it most days. They changed the menu every day and that was nice.

We had the 8:00 pm seating in the Monet dining room and Maya from Indonesia was our head waiter and Mahendra, also from Indonesia, was her assistant. I have often wondered why so many people mention Carnival staff's names, but now I know why. These folks go above and beyond the call of duty to make you happy. If you do not like what you ordered, they will whisk it away and bring you something else. Another thing I really liked was the fact that they kept the dinner moving right along. You would finish with your appetizer and shortly your main course would arrive, just like clock work. The food: lobster (to die for), filet mignon (to die for), chicken, turkey, shrimp (to die for), pork, stuffed mushrooms, shrimp cocktail, sweet and sour shrimp, oh and did I mention SHRIMP? Yes, it was ALL good. I had never experienced warm chocolate melting cake and now I am a HUGE fan, had to have it every night. And don't forget about the eggs benedict in the morning, simply delicious.... Kudos to the Carnival chefs!

Jamaica: I didn't think we would even get off the ship but I am sure glad that we did. We booked an excursion through the ship and it took us to Ocho Rios and the Duns River Falls. We went directly from the ship to an awaiting bus and a wonderful tour guide, Maxine and our driver JBells, ya mon. We drove from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios about an hour and forty minute drive. Maxine, being a native of course, was very knowledgeable and explained about the culture and way of life of the Jamaican people. Very, very informative! The Duns River Falls was a hoot; we didn't do the climb but enjoyed watching those that did, absolutely beautiful place!

Grand Cayman: Here we did the Atlantis Submarine dive. I think the hubby enjoyed this way more than I did. It was a beautiful day for it and we had a very nice time. We took a lot of photos and headed back to the ship for some leisure time before sailing. I will mention here that one of the most fascinating things to me was observing the magnificent cruise ships in port at the same time as us. It is really something to see when 5 ships are in port!!!! Awesome!

Cozumel: My favorite port of call! Another beautiful day in paradise…..Cozumel was so CLEAN, I was really surprised. Everywhere was spotless, even their restrooms at the terminal. Take your time walking through the terminal. Be sure and take your camera, lots and lots of Kodak moments. Out on the streets, it was hustle and bustle, but everyone moved along, happy and content. My husband bartered with one of the shop keepers and bought me a gorgeous pink topaz ring and matching necklace. We made a really great purchase and it was fun whittling down the price, and in the end, we were extremely happy with our purchases. (Especially me, wink)

Room steward: Our room steward was Mario from Honduras. He has worked for Carnival for over 12 years and he was fantastic. He was always cleaning and putting the extra special touches on our room and he was very proud of his towel animal creations. Note: I have read here on CC and other sites that the room steward will remove everything from the refrigerators upon request. Not so, Mario said they have strict instructions not to remove anything from the refrigerators. So, be sure and take some kind of cooler, they will be happy to keep it filled with ice.

The Men's Hairy Chest Competition: I must tell you about this phenomenon……I did not think that this would be all that entertaining, boy was I wrong!!! Thank goodness the hubby had his video camera. What in the world makes men do the things they do? It was one of the most hysterical occurrences that I have ever witnessed and a MUST do, I promise you will BE entertained.

Overall: You MUST do this cruise! From your stateroom to the elegant décor to the scrumptious food and the fabulous itinerary, the Carnival Conquest is a magical world of splendor!!!

Publication Date: 02/20/08