Maasdam Cruise Review by 2bytheshore

Maasdam
Member Name: 2bytheshore
Cruise Date: December 2007
Cabin Category: E
See More About: Maasdam Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
        13-15 1.0
        16+ 1.0

Ship Facts: Maasdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Maasdam Deck Plans
Very Nice
We sailed on the Maasdam from Dec. 28th - Jan. 5th. It was more than I expected. There were 6 adults and 2 teenagers. Getting on the ship couldn't have been easier. We arrived in Ft. L. via Southwest at 9:30am. Our luggage didn't make the flight because of an issue with the luggage belt in Baltimore. After taking care of the luggage problem at the airport office they assured us that it would get to the ship before we sailed. There were 6 more flights from Baltimore arriving that day. It had to be on one of them. You would have thought. Long story short we got our stuff 3 days later after it was flown to the Turks and Caicos. By 10:30 we were off to the port. Checkin wouldn't have been easier. We were on the ship by 11:15. The ship was the smallest we have ever been on but it was fine. We had an outside cabin with a couch, flat screen tv (which they could use some more working channels)and the bathroom was good size with a bathtub, nice surprise. The cabin steward couldn't have been better. He was in there morning and night. Great towel animals every night. The food at the Lido deck was ok. If we ate lunch we would grab a burger or something there but my husband preferred to eat breakfast in the dining room. Dinners were very good. All of the waiters were very friendly and helpful. After the second night they knew what you were drinking. Casino is pretty small. Slot machines and roulette table are all I really need. Won a couple jackpots on the slot machines so that was nice. Half Moon Cay - We went for a hike through the woods and a snake slithered across my brother-in-laws foot. Better his than mine. It was a priceless moment. St. Thomas - Some went on a island tour, we went shopping. My husband got a good deal on a watch. St. Maarten - Nice. We went to Maho beach, had lunch at the Sunset Bar and watched planes land. WOW. I watched I-tube to see what it was like before we went. Nothing is better than the real thing if you like that sort of stuff. Turks & Caicos - I had an upset stomach. I don't get sea sick so it must have been something I ate. Ventured off the ship to some of the shops at the pier. Didn't and couldn't stay long. Nice pool and beach area though. Wish I could have enjoyed it. Nassau - We missed this port due to high and very rough seas. Disembarkation was painless. The best we have ever experienced. All in all it was a very pleasant cruise. The ship is very clean, the front desk staff very helpful, especially with our lost luggage nightmare even though it wasn't their fault. I would cruise on HAL again. We are going on RCCL Freedom of the Seas in June with my family. We are looking forward to that very much.

Happy Cruising