Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by gribouille

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by gribouille
Rhapsody of the Seas
Rhapsody of the Seas
Member Name: gribouille
Cruise Date: January 2008
Embarkation: Hong Kong
Destination: Asia
Cabin Category: I
Cabin Number: 2060
See More About: Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Asia Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Not so 'exotic' cruise....
We just come back from an exotic 12 nights Asian cruise on the Rhapsody of the Seas.

We are experienced cruisers and we mostly cruise on Celebrity. We were prepared to see a difference in the service but not to that point.

Embarkation : nightmare. In the busy HongKong I have to admit, there is no evident way to make a huge ship's embarkation run smoothly. We had to leave our luggage right next to the ship, and come back to the Marco Polo hotel to register . There was a lot of congestion and it took a great while before check-in. Once register we had to walk through a shopping mall and get to the port to embark.

I will mostly comment about the ship itself as the destinations were what I expected, however, the ship stops way too far from the point of interests. Of course for the reasons we all know. However : Hanoi, Hue, Saigon, Bangkok were all from 1,5 hours to 3 hours drive from the ship. And this is one way!!! Most part of the day ashore were spent in a taxi or a bus rushing to the city or back to the ship. Of course once at the destination, you just want to stay longer but have to return to the ship, not to miss the last tender!!!!

I think this is one of the first time RCCL is going to Asia and had to hire a new crew. Overall the crew were not properly trained or ready to work. Obviously, RCCL, cuts down on the crew size as there were no service on this ship. To the exception of our Cabin attendant.

During our days at sea, while lounging besides the pool, there were absolutely nobody to offer us a drink!!! As usually, the staff is always walking around to offer a drink or clean up the tables etc... Well, believe it or not, NO RCCL Staff came up to us ( we were a group of 9 ) to either offer us a drink or to clean our table after lunch...good thing we are not drinkers!!!

Smile was lacking on this ship. The staff were not as attentive as the other cruise line we have been on.

Food : lack of taste, lack of presentation, however, there was an Asian menu always offered which I think, is a nice touch.

Disembarkation: Singapore: When came the time to disembark and once off the ship, there was no place were we could recuperate our luggage. Strange. Without any indication or announcement, we were put on a bus and we would think to be transferred to the main building of this port....NO, we were transferred for at least 20 minutes into the city to be brought on to the REAL Singapore Passenger Terminal cruise port were we could found our luggage...that's where we realized that we were docked at the freight port.....when we arrived at the passenger terminal, it was nice to see the Costa Cruise ship docked right next to our luggage!!!

I would definitely not cruise on RCCL again because of this cruise, and our friends who are all Platinum Royal Anchor member will not cruise RCCL either. We missed Celebrity a lot on this cruise....and I forgot to mentioned there was NO midnight buffet and NO chocolate buffet either on this 12 night cruises....!!!

I see that the ship is rated 4 stars on this site...may I recommend to change it to 3, no more!!!

Thank you.

Ps.: please note that English is not my mother tongue, so I apologize in advance!!

Publication Date: 02/03/08