Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by family1st

Norwegian Dawn
Norwegian Dawn
Member Name: family1st
Cruise Date: November 2006
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
See More About: Norwegian Dawn Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
        Under 3 1.0
        3-6 1.0
        13-15 1.0

DISSAPOINTED is an understatement...
Okay where to begin....i guess we will start with the point of the trip...we have a huge family and we are very family oriented, when my uncle passed away we vowed that we would all spend more time together. We celebrate Easter and Christmas together, but we thought a family trip/reunion would be nice....

We arrived for departure fairly early and we were all excited!!! I had been on a cruise before on carnival and it was phenomenal so of course I was expecting great things for my sisters that had never been before. There were about 25 of us... Well we were supposed to depart at 4:00 and didn't until around 6:00... it wasn't long that we were sailing that we realized that we weren't going quite as fast as we should be...we didn't pay much attention to that until we were told that we were going to have to stop at Norfolk, Va. because of a faulty azipod and bad weather. Well thinking that we would only be there for a little while we didn't worry, but then the next day we were still in Norfolk...and then the next day we were still in Norfolk...NCL told everyone that they would reimburse each state room $100.00. And would discount their next trip with NCL... Well that didn't go over really well, I was staying in a stateroom with 2 other people so I would only get $33.33??? So I was paying over $1,000.00 for a cruise to Virginia?? (okay and I didn't mention that we are from Virginia!!!) And why would we ever want to cruise with NCL ever again??? Needless to say some passengers began to get irate and the authorities had to board the ship!!!

Okay so I think I would have been okay with a cruise to nowhere…however the staff that was on the ship with us were downright rude!!! They never wanted to help you and if you asked for something, they either never showed up again or it came to you wrong. Not to mention my aunt found hair in her bed!!! EWWW>…. Okay so back to the actual cruise…we ended up spending our thanksgiving trying to eat the slop that they fed us meanwhile not trying to throw it up because the sea was so rough on our trip back to New York. We had all brought bathing suits and shorts with us because we were cruising to the Caribbean and we spent November in New York/Norfolk…no warm weather whatsoever!! When my sister asked if her 4 year old could swim in the indoor pool at the spa, they told her he wasn't old enough and they couldn't let just one person do that, but if she wanted to pay she could swim!!! There was absolutely nothing for the kids to do!

So we got back to New York and they finally said that it was there fault that we didn't get anywhere and they reimbursed everyone their money. But my point was how was that supposed to fix what we had lost? Some of our family left the ship when we were in Norfolk and said they would never cruise again, all of us had to take a weeks vacation from work, just for the headache of a trip back to where we are from!!!!! NCL has the rudest employees, the worst food, and apparently broken ships!!! I would never sail with them again!!!

Publication Date: 01/29/08