Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by PrivateEye

Carnival Freedom
Member Name: PrivateEye
Cruise Date: January 2008
Cabin Category: 8B
See More About: Carnival Freedom Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+
Rates 5+

The good and the bad!!!
BACKGROUND: My DH and myself went with his 2 brothers, 1 sister and their spouses, so 8 of us in all. We were celebrating a 50th birthday. Our flight was booked thru Carnival and was direct and at pretty good times, we were impressed. SHIP INFO: It is rather gaudy with so many different shapes put together, it's very busy looking. Also, I wasn't aware the pools, slides were salt water until I'd gotten a mouth full.

STATEROOM: BIG disappointment there. We'd booked aft balconies because we were told the balconies would be bigger than most. NOT TRUE. They were same size as all the others. Also, our room and my SIL's room were smaller than the other two. They had sofas in their rooms and we didn't have anything but a chair to sit on. Not much point in paying for a balcony when you're looking forward to a sofa and don't get one.

DINING: We were in the lower Posh at the back against the window. Not noisy but we were at a long table and would have preferred a round table to facilitate conversation. Food was okay, lobster was tough. Everything else was very tasty.

ACTIVITIES: We swam in the salt water pool (not pleasant), went to the Married Game and laughed ourselves to tears, we usually play cards but for the life of me I could not find a card room and found that odd.

ENTERTAINMENT: The shows were good, the dancers and singers exceptional. BUT the dancing was a huge letdown. The choices were A Karaoke venue and who wants to dance in front of someone singing Karaoke????. The Piano Bar which doesn't have a dance floor and one night Ron Pass got absolutely disgusting with his language!! Shame on you. The 70s was for teens but opened twice for adult dancing. One hour for Motown which was packed with people dancing and could have drawn a large crowd nightly if they'd have offered it. A classical pianist, a swing dance floor which was just a little old for us. We're in our 40s & 50s.

SERVICE: The service was fast and friendly. Our waitress and assistant were very friendly and got us anything we wanted. The bartender took it upon himself to bring us a round of drinks every night at dinner. I thought it was rather bold of him to assume we wanted drinks but everyone else thought it was fine. We gave our room steward $20 on the first day and asked that he keep a steady supply of ice in our room. I think he had A.D.D.

SHORE EXCURSIONS: The only Carnival shore excursion we booked was the Champagne Catamaran. The snorkeling off of St. Johns was the best I've enjoyed. All in all it was an okay excursion and we enjoyed ourselves.

DISEMBARKATION: Here is where I saw the largest improvement. It was very efficient and I didn't feel like I was being shoved aside for the paying customers coming on. Carnival used to stick you in a room and make you sit there until they sent you off ship. This was why we stopped sailing with them. We were very very glad to see they had remedied the disembarkation procedure.

SUMMARY: We enjoyed ourselves immensely, over ate and indulged a bit too much, enjoyed all three ports of call. The one thing I would change is to make sure I'm getting what I'm paying for. When you click on room 7447 you get a picture of a room with a sofa. They should show you the room you're getting so you can change if you want to.

Publication Date: 01/25/08