Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by mikecanuk: Carnival Liberty Jan 5/08

Family & Children 1.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Liberty Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Liberty Jan 5/08

Sail Date: January 2008

This was my 4th cruise and I was joined by 3 kids (6,13,17) and 3 adults. We had rooms 8404, 8408 and 8412 on the Verandah deck.

We flew from Toronto to Fort Lauderdale the night before and stayed one night at the Hyatt Regency Pier66. Very nice hotel and by booking through Priceline we saved atleast $100 over the best web-price we could find.

On to the cruise.

Overall I had a great time. My biggest surprise was the entertainment (fantastic) and my biggest disappointment was Camp Carnival.

Embarkation: We were on the boat by 11:30-11:45, so we were pretty happy with this. Had my first fru-fru drink by noon! But be prepared - the area where you get out of the taxis and find a porter for your luggage is an absolute zoo!

The Ship: Most of what I read is pretty accurate. I think after you've been on a few cruises it is harder and harder to be impressed, and this was like that. Nice ship, nothing really special. Never felt crowded. My kids More thought the pools were too small.

Rooms: Our rooms felt quite spacious. There was lots of storage, some we never even used and the beds were very comfortable. We had three rooms in a row so we opened up the balcony divider between 2 of the rooms and the longer/wider balcony was nice.

Food: The dining room (breakfast and dinner) was really good. I can't believe they charge kids for soft drinks for dinner but they do. We went to Harry's one night and the food was terrific but the ambiance is not. Its very bright and tacky music playing, kind of strange actually. Lunch time food was a challenge but the fish and chips counter was great as were the burgers.

Liquor: All told we brought 16 bottles of wine on-board (4 adults) and each night brought wine to the dining room. There was no problem getting the wine on board and we were charged corkage for the first 2 nights and then nothing! I also bought rum, vodka and Grand Marnier in San Juan and had no trouble bringing the bottles onboard in just my backpack.

Camp Carnival: Our 6 year old had been anticipating all the cool stuff she would do at camp but went max 5 times. We tried and we tried to get her to go back, since our nighttime activities kind of depended on being freed up while she was at camp but no luck. Part of the problem was that there were less than 10 kids, but the real problem was the counselors. Just no enthusiasm and the program looked good on paper but was lousy in execution. BIG disappointment! The 13 and 17 year old went once and decided, as expected, that they were far too "old' to be in a program.

Entertainment: Absolutely fantastic. I honestly didn't expect to go to any shows but was dragged to the first show and then went to all of the rest. And then my 17 year old actually participated in the Legends of Carnival show so that topped it off. The cruise director, Steve (from Toronto) was really funny and his staff were top notch. Very active, very friendly and fun.

Ports of call: San Juan: We just walked around a bit as the ship docked 5pm.

St Thomas: I took 2 of the kids scuba diving at Coki beach, went to Ocean World and then shopping downtown. Coki beach was crowded by 11am but still quite beautiful.

Antigua: We all went on Adventure Antigua (Eli) speed boat tour. Fantastic day and the highlight of the cruise for the kids. Well worth it. And the speed boat is fun!

Tortola: We did the Baths on our own ($30/per) and I found it a bit rushed and crowded to really enjoy. Our ship was only in port until 3:30 so by the time we walked through the rocks/caves we had to leave to get back. I'd love to spend a day there after crowds have left as it is quite remarkable.

Nassau: Just walked around and did some shopping.

Debarkation: Very smooth and from the time they called our number until we were at the luggage area was no more than ½ hour. Pretty good.

All-in-all a great cruise and I can't wait for my next one, still to be determined!! Less

Read more Carnival Liberty cruise reviews >>