Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by LCruiser

Cruise Date: December 2007
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: 4A

Surprise-we had a blast!
Our cruise dates were December 16-23. We got to Galveston about 2:30 and did not know that the ship was delayed in getting into port and so we would be delayed getting out of port. We waited in line for 2-3 hours just to board the ship! This was our first Carnival Cruise. I had been advised by friends and family not to expect much from Carnival. We had been on other cruise lines and absolutely love cruising! I had heard that Carnival was a party boat and that people stayed drunk most of the time. That was a concern for us since we brought our children. Perhaps it was the amount of children on the ship that made everyone behave themselves.

It is hard to not compare ships when you have sailed with other lines. We thought that the food was good. We did not starve at all. The portions were very good. My family especially loved the chocolate melting cake. We did eat at the speciality restaurant one night called "The Point". It was well worth it and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Our inside cabin was small but clean and comfortable. The cabin number was 6377. It had plenty of storage and closet space. It was located however underneath the casino. So there was no going to bed early because the guy playing in the casino might as well have played in our room! I was just shocked at how loud it was in our room! When we complained to the purser-they assured us that they asked the gentleman to turn down the music. At least he quit by midnight. We also had a problem with smoke in our room. Our attendant tried her best to get it clean-but the smoke was seeping in from somewhere. It was bad. The doors to our cabin seemed very thin-We could hear complete conversations of people outside our room. We could hear the announcements without having to leave our bed. On other cruise lines-we would have to open the door to hear the announcements

I enjoyed most of the entertainment. However to have a Vegas-style show was pretty disgusting. I don't know what I was thinking-but our whole family sat on the second row of the theater and the show was about Paris. There was no story line only the most Pair-ASS you have ever seen! There was just so many kids on the ship-I thought that it was very inappropriate! The comedian was not very funny at all. The juggler was wonderful. We thoroughly enjoyed him. Mark,The Cruise director was very good-we thought he was a hoot! His suits were colorful with shoes to match.

We had delightful tablemates. We had the late seating in the Monet. The only thing that I did not like was for the first several nights we had to "save" our forks for the next course. There was not enough silverware on the table. Our server would take our used flatware and place it on the tablecloth. But as the week went on-our server took the used silverware and replaced it. I never spoke to our waiter except to place my order. He did not seem to want to interact with our table. The servers dance every night. That was fun to watch.

We did not take Carnival excursions. Thanks to the Cruise Critics. We just did our own thing and very much enjoyed our selves. We went to Sunset beach in Jamaica and that was very nice. You can choose from the beach or the pool with water park. In Grand Cayman-we went to Sea Grape beach and rented Jet skis and played in the water. We brought our own snorkel equipment-but there wasn't much to see down under at this beach. But then we went to Chakanaub park in Cozumel and that was great snorkeling! This is an incredibly well maintained and very beautiful place with gardens and plenty of Iguanas. We also rented a Jeep for $66.00 for the day. We drove all around the island. That was very relaxing and beautiful!

There were plenty of photo opportunities on the ship. I loved it as a mother! I got to have many different pictures with my family and the choice to buy them or not. I did not think that they were pushy. The photo sets were different every night. I thought it was great.

Over all the Conquest was very nice. We had a lovely family vacation together. I got to have dinner with my husband and children everynight. That was delightful to me since dinner together seems to be a thing of the past...(the kids are 21 and 15). My husband and I would sail with Carnival again-but they would not be our first choice. Overall it was a great trip.

Publication Date: 01/02/08