Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by welshrich

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by welshrich
Freedom of the Seas
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Fabulous first cruise
We had never cruised before and were not sure what to expect, we stayed in Miami for 4 days before sailing to relax a little, we arrive at the Port on the Sunday at 1pm and was on the ship by 2pm, we dropped our rucksack off and went straight to the Windjammer to get some food, there was a great choice and as there were only 2 of us we usually ended up sharing a table but this was a nice way of meeting new people. We went back to the cabin which was a promenade cabin on deck 7, there was more room than I expected, there was lots of hanging space in the wardrobe and the bathroom was compact but lots of room to move around in the shower. It was nice to have a window overlooking the promenade especially when the shows were on. We then went to muster drill and then went up to deck 12 for a sailaway drink as we left miami. Our bags did not arrive in time for dinner as we were on the early sitting so we had to wear shorts which most other people were too. Our waiter was Troy from India and our assistant waiter was Didi from Indonesia, Troy made a speech about wanting to give good service but I was not impressed at all, we were on a table for 4 but our table mates did not use the dining room all week so troy seemed to concentrate on the two other bigger tables, Didi however was outstanding and seemed to be everywhere, always topping up drinks, remembering our preferences and we appreciated this as he was always working, we saw our head waiter on the first night, on day four he walked past and I asked him how he was, he just said "busy" and walked on, he turned up on the last night for his gratuity though.

The food in the windjammer was excellent, there were lots of choices for Breakfast and Lunch each day, there were antibacterial wipes which people were encouraged to use but several times I did not see people doing this.

The menu in the Dining room was excellent every night as was the food in Sorrentos and Cafe Promenade.

We used the jogging track on deck 12 but did not use the gym as it always seemed crowded, had lots of fun just watching people on the flowrider!

Ports: Labadee was relaxing, did not care for the lunch bbq but the beach was clean, we did go into the flea market for about 10 seconds until the harassment became too much. Ocho Rios, we did the Dunns falls, this was an experience, we drive through the town which seems quite poor when we got to the falls it was difficult in places to climb but a good experience, when I got the the top the guide came upto me and demanded that I give him a tip, I had some single bills in my pocket which were wet, when I got them out he just took them out of my hand and walked away! leaving the falls you have to go through the "craft area" which was quite intimidating for some people, we heard of someone who had told them her name and he carved it on some wood a demanded $60 dollars for it! Grand Cayman was excellent, we went to stingray city which was awesome and I wished we had more time to explore. We had been to Cozumel before so just spent the time wandering around the shops.

One thing I must mention is the sheer size of the ship, it was so big you hardly ever felt it moving, everything was so clean and it was nice to see all the artwork all over the ship. It was nice when you were in port to see the size of it compared to others.

The entertainment was good, some of the shows were excellent especially the ice show.

Now for the downside, the cruise director (Richard Spacey - a fellow brit) was the most unfunny person I've ever heard, his delivery was awful the way he would mock laugh when he spoke, this is my opinion only and I know there were people there who though he was great but we also encountered a lot of people who did not, as soon as the show was over we would head for the exit before he came back on. Dress code, it was nice to see people dressing up on formal night but we also saw loads of people walking into the dining room in the middle of a seating and expecting to eat and also people wearing shorts to dinner, I would like to see RC make a stand a close the dining room doors after the first 20 mins and enforce the dress code a little, I know people are on vacation but they could easily have gone to the buffet if this is what they wanted to wear. The only other bad thing was getting off the ship so early and having a late flight, some airlines do onboard checkin but only for domestic flights which was a shame.

Overall, this was a great vacation and we are already looking to book with RC again.

Publication Date: 12/10/07