Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by mrvlv

Cruise Date: November 2007
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: 4a

Great value!
I (35 and single)traveled with my mom (68 and married--left dad at home) and a group of varied ages, from about 20 to 81, singles and couples. There was something for everyone on the Conquest, and we enjoyed ourselves immensely. This was my 7th cruise, 2nd with Carnival, and I've cruised on Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and Commodore. Carnival is indeed a "funship", so there are lots of activities, but if you want pampering and elegance, Carnival might not be for you.

Embarkation: We live in Houston, so we just hired a car service to take us to the pier. We arrived at around 11:30 and the ship was not ready, although I had read here on Cruise Critic that others had gotten on that early. We waited for what seemed like an eternity for a wheelchair to take my mom onboard, so I think that process could be handled differently. In any case, we were onboard by 1:30, and we were allowed to go to our rooms after 2. The food in Cezanne, the casual dining room was ok, and we hung out there until we could go to our rooms.

Cabin: We were in an inside cabin on the Riviera deck. The cabin was spacious with lots of closet space. I liked the location of the room also, because we were just a flight of stairs above the exit door for the port days--very convenient.

Food: I found the food in the Renoir dining room to always be very good, and we loved our waiters. I only had lunch there once, but dinner there every night except one. Cezanne's food was plentiful, but just ok, and I really wish they had more variety for breakfast. It was the same every day.

We ate at the Point one night, and it was excellent. Food, service and atmosphere were fabulous and well worth the extra charge!

Entertainment: I'm not really one for shows, and I found these shows to be on the boring side. I only went to take my mom, and she enjoyed them. The last show, which spotlighted fellow passengers was very good, and I think more of that would be great.

The band in the Degas lounge was FANTASTIC! We loved them and they can play anything! Karaoke was fun, and we also enjoyed the deck party. Henri's disco was not that great because the DJ said he had to stick with 70's and 80's music, and the Blues piano bar was ok. Quite smoky, though.

The Ship: The ship's decor is beautiful, lots of nice artwork. Even the elevators had nice art. It was easy to navigate but there were lots of places to get lost if you wanted to. This came in handy occasionally. LOL

Word to the Wise: If you are going to use the internet onboard, buy a time plan! Do not pay 75 cents a minute. Or better yet, wait till you get to a port, and buy some time at an internet cafe.

Ports: I've been on this itinerary before and it's not one of my favorites, but I went to the beach on Grand Cayman and on a tour in Montego Bay. Neither trip was with the ship's excursions, but we had a great time and the price was right. In Cozumel I just did a little silver shopping and went to the internet cafe, then got back onboard. Just a point to keep in mind: Do NOT ever pay the first price the guys in the silver shops tell you. I bought a ring that was supposed to be $36 for $10. Don't let them rip you off!

Debarkation: I don't know any cruiseline that handles this well, but Celebrity comes close. The Conquest was ok, actually a little better than I expected. We didn't feel rushed off the ship, and once we did get off, the holdup was unprepared passengers, not the cruiseline or Customs.

Summary: I will go on this ship again and I would recommend it to others. It was a great time for a good price.

Publication Date: 12/04/07