Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by michiganredrose: Norwegian Sun - Western Caribbean

michiganredrose
Member Since 2007

Family & Children 3.0

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sun Western Caribbean Cruises

Norwegian Sun - Western Caribbean

Sail Date: November 2007

Embarkation was okay. There were definitely plenty of people to help with luggage at the pier when we got there around noon. Checking in was quick and easy (even with birth certificates and not passports). We wanted to get our embarkation picture taken but they said they couldn't fit 9 people (4 of them kids) in the picture. Later in the photo gallery we saw pictures with 13 people. Apparently you just needed to be more insistent.

The cabin was fine. We had 3 cabins with two of them adjoined. That was really nice. It made it feel more spacious. The porthole was huge. A lot bigger than I expected. Do not expect regular towel animals. If your kids look forward to that part of the trip, you should be prepared for it to be hit or miss. According to reception, it is up to the cabin stewards discretion whether they do it every day or not. It may not seem like that big of a deal to some but my kids really look forward to it. They were on Carnival where they did them every day they More were disappointed.

Food... The food on this cruise was terrible overall. We tried just about everywhere. I hope they were having an off week but really it just stunk. The Italian restaurant was bad. The only place we found where the food was really outstanding was East Meets West. The buffet was bad, the main dining rooms were bad, and Pacific Heights was mediocre. The ice cream bar was fun. They had cute toppings. My daughter would always get the ice cream with sprinkles and a bowl of jelly beans on the side.

The hand sanitizer stations are everywhere. Be careful with them. Some shoot incredible amounts of sanitizer on your hands. People tend to pull their hands out while it is still shooting which causes it to go into their little dish and all over the floor. This is extremely slippery and caused my 8 year old to fall in the buffet area. Be careful.

The kids club was hit and miss. The 7-9 year old group was okay. It was no Carnival that's for sure. It took the kids a couple of days to warm up to it. The activities were not near as fun as Carnival and they were not as well organized. The 10-12 year old group was a bust. My son wanted to go to bed every night rather than go to kids club. He is the easy going kid who has no problem fitting in anywhere and he just hated it. They watched movies more than anything else. He went for "Tween Choice" where he thought they would get a free play time. When we got there they were watching the movie "Ice Princess" and that was all they could do. Not too many 10 year old boys that I know want to watch that movie. The least they could do is pick a gender neutral movie. Another huge problem with kids club is the location. It is way up in the front of the ship. This was a really rocky cruise, I don't know if it's always this way on the Sun but they were sending kids home every night because they didn't feel good. At least one night my daughter came back and said they weren't allowed to use the bathroom and I didn't want to know why. I could easily figure out why. I think this is a huge issue.

Ports - We used Victor Bodden in Roatan. We had Tex for a driver and he was wonderful. He did whatever we wanted. We went on the glass bottom boat and it was really fun. He also took us to his house (which was beautiful) and has the dolphins from Anthony's resort in his back yard. It was stunning and he answered every question we had.

Belize we booked through the ship. We went on the Lamanai and New River Safari trip. It was long. I expected it to be long but I expected more time at Lamanai. The bus trip took over an hour as did the boat ride. We left around 9 am, got to Lamanai around noon, ate lunch for 1/2 hour, walked the path to all the ruins (it is a hard hike when it is muddy, definitely wear tennis shoes) with the guide for 1 hour, back on the boat, back on the bus, back to the ship. The scenery was beautiful but do not expect a full day exploring Lamanai on your own. We never even made it into the museum.

Cozumel was spent at Nachi Cocom. It was fabulous and well worth the price. We could see the crowds down the beach and I felt bad for them. It was so quiet and peaceful where we were.

Great Stirrup Cay was a lot of fun. It was just a nice, relaxing beach day. We got a party raft and had a great time with the kids.

Do not miss the Fountains staff show. It was fabulous as was the comedian/magician. Debarkation was easy enough we sat outside by the pool (it was closed) until after everyone was called. No lines, no stress, actually glad to be off the ship.

We had a lot of fun but it was in spite of Norwegian, not because of it. Usually the cruise is the vacation and the ports are just incidental fun spots along the way. This trip the ports were the vacation and the ship was really just a mode of transportation. I heard it being referred to numerous times as the "Wal-Mart Cruise", the K-Mart cruise and it was compared to Motel 6 a couple of times. Having been on this cruise I would not cruise Norwegian again. Less

Read more Norwegian Sun cruise reviews >>