Regatta Cruise Review by Keith P: Regatta - Trans-Atlantic

Regatta - Trans-Atlantic

Sail Date: November 2007
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Barcelona

Cruised TA from Barcelona. This was my 7th cruise but first on oceania. After a dreadful cruise on Norwegian Spirit in February I told my TA "No more cruising'. She persuaded me to try Regatta, Im so glad she did. Ship was of a good size for socializing and events. About 700 passengers. Decor was 'classy' but not 'over the top'. CAbins were adequate and comfortable. The food was exceptional, not a bad meal. My DW did not like the scrambled eggs on the terrace, but thats being picky. Toscana was wonderful, you have to try the Chocolate Lasagna, simply decadent Polo had melt in the mouth steaks, restaurant small and personal. Neither Polo or Toscana charged extra unlike lines 'lower down the ladder' Grand Dining room was 'Grand' with good service from polite and efficient wait staff. We ate Breakfast often on the open Terrace at the Terraces Buffet, although a buffet it had great serving staff who, if asked brought tea, juice or anything else. Always cheerful and polite. Cabin Staff More were unobtrusive and efficient. The Casino I never used but was of an appropriate size. One plus was the lack of smoking areas and I never smelt smoke the way one does on Norwegian. They had an outside corner and an inside corner. No smoking any where else, on pain of being set ashore. The disappointments were few: The Afternoon Tea with string quartet and white gloved waiters was abandoned after some miserable SOB complained it was 'too crowded' so they spoilt it by moving it to the Terraces Buffet- not the same. The entertainment was great with the Singers Ethan, Brett,Emily and Lindsey with a great CD Rob Wheatley. This team not only entertained but ran Trivia, PAssenger/Crew 'Olympics' Bingo etc but there were a couple of 'old time entertainers A 'Catskills type' comedian called Al and his wife Holly, both IMHO should have retired years ago and a singer called Paul. Not very good. Lectures were great if you liked Baseball (I didn't) or MArine Science.

We hit a major storm, Force 10 winds, 30 foot waves which caused us to miss Bermuda. We got $100 cabin credit, which we used on MArtini TAsting and Happy Hour!

Travel was good and well organized, British Airways out to Barcelona (via the cesspit that is Heathrow- but thats not Oceania's fault) transfers efficient . Air Canada back on thanksgiving weekend (ugh).

I definitely will go back to Oceania for the class,food,civility and great companions and fellow travellers and above all 'value for money' Less

Read more Regatta cruise reviews >>