Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by SkaterJasp

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by SkaterJasp
Majesty of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
Member Name: SkaterJasp
Cruise Date: October 2007
Cabin Category: SO
See More About: Majesty of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Spa & Fitness 5+
Rates 5+

Majesty of the Seas - Western Caribbean
----------------------------------- Background Information

This was my 8th cruise, 4th with Royal Caribbean. The cruise was suppose to be a 4 night halloween cruise to the Bahamas but the weather caused the cruise to be diverted to Cozumel and it became a 4 night cruise to the Western Caribbean.

----------------------------------- Hotel Info

My flight to Miami arrived at night and to save money, I decided to stay at the Hampton Inn by the airport and in the morning, transfer to the Double Tree in downtown Miami. The Double Tree Grand is a decent hotel, the rooms are nice and have a great view of the bay and the cruise ships. It was awesome to step onto the balcony in the morning to see your ship waiting for you. There was also a ton of great places to eat, the hotel itself was like a cruise ship but on land. I ate at this place call the Water Club in the hotel and ordered a seafood dish and it was the best dish I had in Miami. They have 7 types of seafood cooked in a special sauce table side which was amazing.

----------------------------------- Travel To Port of Embarkation

I flew from California to Florida on American Airlines. The plane ride was amazing, it was the best experience I've had with a "Legacy Carrier" since TWA. The food was really really good, so good that it kind of upstaged the food served on board. On the flight from Sacramento to Dallas, they served an cheese omelet and side of potatoes with bits of bacon in it. The entree was served with a fruit salad and a warm flaky biscuit. The Dallas to Miami portion of the flight, I got the pasta shells and the portion was really big and they had hot cheese bread to go with it and a nice green salad. They also have the most amazing cheesecake ever. The way back, I had a roast beef sandwich with salad and a fresh baked cookie for lunch. Dinner on the flight was beef short ribs with fresh veggies and mashed potatoes with another garden salad and ended it with a nice brownie sundae with all the sundae topping you can dream off. I think I either lucked out on the food on my flight.

----------------------------------- Ship Info

The ship have the same layout as the ship I'm used to, Monarch of the Seas. However, unlike the Monarch, the Majesty of the Seas lack a sushi bar. Instead there was a johnny rocket and an actual deli. The rooms are really nice and they did a great job with the most recent renovation. This was also the first cruise I've been on where barf bags was offered.

----------------------------------- Activities

Just your typical cruise line activities, except that the ship crew didn't really created the vibe of "Get Out There!"

----------------------------------- Service

Horrible! Horrible! Horrible! With the exception of the room steward, spa staff, and the dining room staff, everyone was just horrible. Lets start with the Embarkation Staff... The line itself was really organized but once I got to the counter to check in. The person I got was really unprofessional and kept on talking about Miss America and how they were on the ship. It sounds exciting, however, the way the information was presented was a bit "adult"-ish. Than when she gave me the Sea Pass card, I noticed that it didn't say "Gold" on there and I asked why the Sea Pass card didn't show my crown and anchor status. She just said that I never entered in the reservation. Than I asked if I didn't enter it in my reservation, why was it on my cruise documents. She kept saying that I didn't enter it in during the reservation or call it in... than I was just showed her my crown and anchor number on my cruise documents. Anyways thats just the start of it. Then there are the crew members working in the windjammer, I really have no idea who is running the show but there were no serving utensils in some of the food item and when I asked for something to get the food with, the crew often time will take the serving spoons from another dish and stick it in the dish i want to get. I just found that a bit nasty. The most annoying of all was communication onboard the ship. They can never make up their mind as to what to do. I understand that because of a storm, we can not head to the Bahamas... but the way the information was presented was a bit chaotic. They can never figure out exactly when we will arrive in port, the activities onboard the ship kept changing, and the crew seemed more disappointed about not going to the Bahamas than the passengers. Every lounge I went to onboard the ship, I can hear at least 1 crew member complaining about going to Cozumel. For me, I was fine with it.

----------------------------------- Shore Excursions

I did my own shore excursions in Key West, went on the Conch Train and the Shipwreck Museum. Both attraction was very educational but got really boring really quick because the tour guides on both attraction seemed really out of it and bored of what they do.

----------------------------------- Stateroom

The stateroom is slightly larger than a standard ocean view room. There was an in room safe that was a hit or miss when it comes to opening it up. Had to call someone to open it at least 3 times during the cruise and I use the same combination as I always use on all my Royal Caribbean sailing. There was also a couch and the bathroom was a lot nicer than a similar cabin on the Monarch.

----------------------------------- Dining

The food was a disgrace, it was so bad that the culinary highlights of my trip was the airplane and hotel food.

----------------------------------- Entertainment

The Miss America Talent show was really really good, however, it was just a special event and was not part of the regular cruise performance. Now for the regular stage production featuring the Majesty of the Seas singer and dancers.... all I can say is that I've seen preschool productions much more professional and organized than the productions on the Majesty. If you decided to go to a stage production onboard this ship, don't sit by the girl that does the lighting. She would start singing along with the show and its really annoying because she is a really bad singer.

----------------------------------- Disembarkation

It was chaotic! Getting off the ship, it was just a big giant crowd in the elevator lobby with the crew trying to organize the line and every time they got a line going, they change it up again only to create another crowd and it got to a point, after 30 minutes of trying to follow the crew's instruction, I just ignored the crew and I somehow ended off the ship in less than 5 minutes.

----------------------------------- Summary

Royal Caribbean, overall, is a good cruise line. However, I would try to avoid this ship.

Publication Date: 11/25/07