Carnival Glory Cruise Review by TomFC

Cruise Date: October 2007
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: 8A

Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean
This cruise easily ranks as one of the two worst times I have ever been at sea. I say this as a Navy veteran who spent 4 years at sea on ships from an aircraft carrier to a frigate (one of the smallest ships in the Navy.) This is my seventh cruise on a luxury cruise ship

First let me say that the weather was bad. Enough about the weather I have been in better and worse weather at sea.

It was not the weather that spoiled this cruise it was the attitude of the crew. Before I go on it was the majority of the crew that had the bad attitude. Our cabin steward was great. Also the personal in the Spa made the cruise much better. For the rest of the crew, it seemed that the passengers were at best an inconvenience, and as the weather got worse so did their treatment of the passengers.

I never realized how much the cruise director's attitude affected the treatment of the passengers all the way from the purser's desk to the crew in the dinning room.

I had purchased a fountain card as I don't drink alcohol. I will say that Carnival is making an effort to not treat the fountain card holders as second class passengers this is evident in their survey about the treatment of fountain card holders.

However on one occasion I got a soda from the casino bar and after drinking some I realized that I was given the soda in a dirty glass with lipstick on the rim. Being male I knew it was not my lipstick but when I let the purser's desk know their reaction was: "Well you have a fountain card, just get another soda." Luckily for Carnival I didn't get sick from the last person who used that glass.

The cruise director was "Wee" Jimmy. I now know why he is called Wee Jimmy as he did as little as he could to make sure the passengers had a good time. The vast majority of the "activities" were dance classes taught by the dancers. Since this was a Halloween cruise we brought our costumes to participate in the costume judging contest. We got ready early and tried to participate in as many activities as we could. I don't dance I have two left feet on solid ground. ALL of the costumes included in the judging were picked from people in the dance class just prior to the contest. If you didn't dance you couldn't compete. This left out MANY AMAZING costumes. But it would have been too much work to judge everyone who might want to participate so only those who danced were included. The costume "parade" consisted of the assistant cruise directors standing above the atrium tossing a few beads to the dancers on the floor before. Once we discovered that we didn't even have a chance to participate we went back to our cabin and went to bed.

I would like to say that the dining room staff was better, but they weren't. Our waiter would stand next to our table and listen to what was said. We had an earlier problem with room service, and one night two of the officers stopped at our table to assure us that it would not happen again. Once they left our waiter was right there to comment on what was said. We did not feel comfortable talking at the dinner table, as we knew he was listening, because he would comment about conversations my wife and I had. This could account for the slow service we received. Other guest would arrive after us, and complete there desert before we received our main course.

Then the last night we ate in the formal dinning room I ordered the filet mignon cooked medium, what I got was closer to a hockey puck than a steak. I had to cut off the top and bottom to get to editable meat. Our waiter knew it was burnt before he served it as he offered to replace it with out me saying anything. Why serve it to begin with?

Debarkation was just as bad as the cruise, we were told to stay in our stateroom until our tag number called to leave the ship. They would not announce the correct tag numbers unless you were in a lounge. Our cabin steward sadly had to ask us to leave our stateroom as they needed to clean it for the nest guests. When we arrived at the lounge we found out that we could have left the ship but they would not announce the correct tags over the P.A. system.

These are just a few examples of the lack of service, or bad service we received on the Carnival Glory. Until there is a new cruise director I would not recommend anyone go on this ship.

Publication Date: 11/19/07