Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by cacky: Radiance of the Seas - Hawaii

Radiance of the Seas - Hawaii

Sail Date: October 2007
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: Los Angeles

Embarkation was slow. The ship came in an hour late and boarding had to be delayed. The Vision and the Radiance were in port at the same time and the Radiance had the less equipped facilities. There was no water or other refreshments available until about 12:00 PM and I never did find the bathroom. We got there around 11:00 AM and did not board until after 12:30 PM.

This was our first time on the Radiance. The crew and staff were very friendly. The ship was beautiful. For the first time, we had the Royal Suite and it was lovely. There were so many diamond and diamond plus members that only suite owners and diamond plus members were allowed in the concierge lounge. There was another area set up for the diamond members. Our concierge, Willie was excellent.

Our steward was okay. He seemed to try hard to accommodate us, but he told me this was his second cruise with RCCL, having coming from Carnival.

The cruise director staff were great. They worked hard and More were very friendly. The cruise director was Kirk Detwiler. He worked with about 40 guests with a hula during the cruise and we performed it as the opening act of the talent show.

There were many problems, though. The itinerary was changed. This did not bother us because we had been to Hawaii before and our shore excursions were booked through RCCL. We ended up going to Honolulu twice because of poor sea conditions and did not get to port in Hilo. Maui was changed from our first port to our last port. Many people were upset because they had booked private tours and luaus and had to reschedule or cancel. Again, it didn't affect us.

When we got to Maui, the Homeland Security director would not let us tender in until about noon. Basically, what happened was somebody slipped and Maui authorities did not know we were coming in on that day and they had to get their staff to come in on their day off which happened to be Sunday. A lot of people also got upset because when returning to the ship that night some had to wait for 1-1/2 hours to board the tender but that was because so many people attended luaus and got back to the pier at the same time. Again, that didn't affect us.

The sea conditions were rough most of the days at sea. It bothered me the first two days, but I finally adjusted.

The shows were mediocre. The food was mediocre. I think that RCCL has put all their best people on the Voyager class and Freedom class ships. I also think that they have let their service decline. We like RCCL, but if it had been our first cruise with them, we would have been disappointed.

Again, this didn't affect us, but there were major plumbing problems and several cabins were flooded due to a broken pipe. I think it affected about 75 passengers.

The captain was great. He handled the situations well and keep the guests well informed. I think he bothered some people talking so much, but we were happy to be kept up with details.

Debarkation was the worse I have ever been through. RCCL definitely needs to improve in this area, at least on the Radiance. We were supposed to leave the ship about 8:50 AM and did not leave until 11:30 AM.

The cruise critic group was great. The people we met made the cruise.

All in all, we had a great time. This was our first cruise with so many sea days and we really enjoyed not having to be rushed. Less

Published 11/12/07

3,413 Forum Posts
Family & Children
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X