Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by Pat Bird: Radiance of the Seas - Hawaii

Radiance of the Seas - Hawaii

Sail Date: October 2007
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: Los Angeles

Todd's review was pretty much on the money. Part of the problem on this cruise was that there were 4+ sea days on the way to Hawaii and what seemed like even more on the way home. For most of those days, it was too cool to be enjoying our balcony and outdoor activities. That isn't the cruise line's fault.

I've cruised Celebrity and Disney before, and I think that the Radiance has too much wasted space in the Centrum. There just is not enough room in the public rooms for the number of passengers aboard. You go an hour early, or you stand.

There were not enough activities to keep people entertained. For a fourteen-day cruise, there was one wine tasting and one cooking demonstration, both on the first full day of the cruise. There were probably a maximum of thirty seats in the bottom floor of the Centrum where the cooking demo was held. I took one look, and decided not to stand through it.

We didn't go to the first wine tasting, which would have been free as More Crown and Anchor members, because we were certain that there would be more to come. Our mistake.

The schedule was a mess as Todd said. How much of this was the ship's fault, I don't know.

Our room steward was great, as were our waiters. The food was good enough, too.

But we only had two production shows for the whole fourteen days. Neither was first rate, in my opinion. The single artists on the rest of the days were a mixed bag. Some good, some awful, most . . . ordinary. One night, they showed a movie for showtime. That's ridiculous!

And the movies: Most of them were already out on Netflix. Nothing first rate here, and how many times do people want to see Hawaii, The Hawaiians, and was it Blue Hawaii?

Some members of the activities staff running the shore excursions were plain nasty. One exception was "Ricky Ricardo" who was a joy throughout, trying his best to make the best of a bad trip.

Debarkation was too horrid to even recall. Hours in line with few ship's personnel to keep people cutting in to a minimum. Everyone was angry when they got off.

My previous cruise was on Celebrity. The Constellation had fired most of the dancers right before the cruise so entertainment there was awful. Then came this horrible experience on the Radiance. I have two more Celebrity cruises scheduled, but today, I don't know if I will go. Less

Read more Radiance of the Seas cruise reviews >>