Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by jimsgirl

Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Member Name: jimsgirl
Cruise Date: October 2007
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Transatlantic
Cabin Category: D6
See More About: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Cunard Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) - Trans-Atlantic
I booked this cruise with a travel agent in another town to my own, and dealt by phone or E Mail. I am a senior, and travel solo

Flight: Booked this and hotel with TA through Cunard. Flight to New York from Fort Myers was a through flight, arrived at NY, met the Cunard rep at the baggage pickup. I was the only passenger so Cunard provided a car to take me to the hotel. Good start I thought

Hotel: This was the Sheraton, the reports I had read from Trip advisor were poor but my experience was positive. As car pulled up a doorman took my cases inside, at the reception I found that Cunard had missed my name off their list, this meant a short delay whilst the hotel checked with Cunard but then I was given a room on the 41st floor. Room was of normal hotel size, very clean, ditto for the bathroom. At night hotel has only a sports bar in which to get usual sports bar type of food, I therefor chose to eat in my room from room service.Fish and chips, and a pot of tea. the meal was quite good, though the price was a shock , there was a delivery charge and a service charge added to the bill. Breakfast next morning was in the hotel restaurant, I chose the buffet , again food was good in quality, choice not as large as I had expected, and the cost was high, but it did save me going out of the hotel by myself.

Port transfer/boarding: Luggage picked up from room approx 10a.m, check out was 12a.m, by that time the lobby was very crowded with passengers coming into the hotel from early flights to await transport. A bus took us to the ship. As I have need of a wheelchair I cannot comment on the normal check, I was taken to my cabin. D6111 was very clean fully ready for me and my attendant made herself known within 10 mins.

Ship: The QM2 is huge, walking from bow to stern is good exercise. Finding your way around does take a few days. but once you get the location of the A,B,C,D staircase fixed into your mind in relation to the public areas it becomes easier. Lectures were on the whole enjoyable, I did not get to the Planet/star shows due to weather problems. The entertainment shows were very good, especially "Appassionata" which is a MUST SEE. Tea in the Queens room , required you to be there at least 20-30 mins ahead of time, it does get full very quickly, and I suggest you take whatever you want from the trays first time round, they may not come a second time. A very nice even, and for those who dance, there was often a "tea dance" with hosts for single ladies. Shops: Classic and expensive, but the "sidewalk" sales are very trashy,have seen much better on other ships such as Celebrity or Princess

Food: I have no complaints with respect to dinner, food good and the service excellent (I had 6p.m seating) Breakfast in the Britannia was a mess , service was very bad, incorrect food, or food which did not arrive. I ordered the melon plate to start followed by cooked breakfast,Received the cooked breakfast followed by the melon!!. It was much of the same at lunch, and several days I went to the Golden Lion Pub wonderful fish and chips,or steak pie, in Sir Samuels I had very good Quiche with a small helping of salad on the side. In these locations I ordered a pot of tea not wine or beer. and there was no problem.

Gripes: Yes I feel some aspects could be dealt with by Cunard. My on board credit did not appear, I even filled out an enquiry form, still nothing on the 8th day, I requested to speak with Account supervisor, told "she is too busy to come to the front desk" That is not an excuse I will accept, and I made it clear I DID expect her to make the time, she came , very unhelpful, but I spoke quietly but very firmly, and left her with no doubt that I did expect to see that credit on my account without delay. I received a phone call later that this had been done. TV- I am not very clever with remotes and felt a printout of the "free movies" with times and channel would have been helpful to me Breakfast on last day: This was the worst I have ever experienced on any ship, I waited 55 mins for just a toasted bagel -nothing else ordered- when finally it came after three reminders, there was no butter or jam left on the table, more wait while one pat of butter was found for me.

Next time I go (in March ) I will go to the Kings Court for breakfast on the last day, and will most likely go to Sir Samuels for a continental breakfast and pay for my beverage rather than face the chaos of the staff in the dining room on normal days

I loved the ship, the days at sea, and am looking forward to my next three cruises on the Queen.

Publication Date: 11/07/07