Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by astridwilson: Enchantment of the Seas - Western Caribbean

astridwilson
Member Since 2005

Compare Prices on Enchantment of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Enchantment of the Seas - Western Caribbean

Sail Date: October 2007

This cruise sailed out of Ft Lauderdale Florida. This was our first time out of Ft Lauderdale. We took an early flight that arrived in Ft Lauderdale at 9:35AM. It was a small plane and everything went so smoothly we were at the cruise dock by 10AM. Of course we could not board The Enchantment of the Seas until 11:30.

The first day we just hung around the quite pool at the Ships Solarium. I loved this pool. On windy days the glass roof was closed and it was always peaceful and never really crowded. Most cruisers hung out at the main pool with the band and the entertainment. Our table mates for the cruise were three couples in their late 30s that all knew each other. They were a lot of fun and really loved to drink. Our first night we spend almost two hours in the dining room. I never had a bad meal on the ship. The food was tres excellent.

Our first stop was Key West. We only had till 1PM at Key West so we got up early had breakfast and walked to the Historic Key More West Sea Port boardwalk. It was really just a boardwalk with lots of marinas and boats. But, it was a beautiful walk. I took some pictures and as it was still too early to shop we grabbed a taxi to Ft Zachary Taylor state park. The state park is very nice; we were really the first ones there. The water was very choppy so the visibility was extremely limited. No snorkeling for me that day, but the water was 84 degrees and the air was 84 degree so it was a wonderful way to kill a few hours. We then left Ft Zack and walked to Duval Street and did the Duval Crawl. Mom and I both bought bathing suits and a few other things. Stopped in my favorite Irish pub to rest and then headed back to the ship.

Wednesday was Cozumel Mexico. I think I was most looking forward to Cozumel. I love the blue water at Cozumel, but alas it was so windy all snorkeling excursions were cancelled. We had planned to go to the Chankanaab Park where you can snorkel off shore. We asked at the pier if snorkeling was available that day and were told yes, so we grabbed a taxi and went down to the park just to find out the water was red flagged and no one was allowed in, so we grabbed a taxi back to town to shop the water front. After a few hours we grew weary from lugging around all of our beach gear and everything we had purchased so we headed back to the ship for lunch. After lunch I walked to a hotel near the docks and sat on the pier to watch the waves crash against the rocks. Mom hung out at the pool.

Thursday was our last stop and this was the absolute highlight of the trip. Mom and I went on a snorkeling trip to a small island off of Belize called Caye Caulker Island. I snorkeled and Mom stayed on the boat. It was a beautiful ride out to the reef. The trip was some of the best snorkeling I have ever experienced; LARGE schools of blue tangs with at least 50 fish and some of the tangs were as big as salad plates, large schools of bar jacks, some of the biggest parrot fish I have ever seen. We snorkeled at our first stop for almost an hour and I could have stayed all day. The next stop was shark alley. We only saw one shark but were surrounded by sting rays. So many rays it was hard to put your feet down. We saw a 5 foot barracuda; he more than made up for the lack of sharks. He hung around and watched us. He was only 5 feet away. We then headed back to called Caye Caulker for lunch. Lunch was conch fritters, very good. They reminded me of potato pancakes.

Our last day was a day at sea and Mom and I mostly hung out at the solarium. It was very windy that day, so not much fun walking around outside.

For this trip we went with inside adjoining cabins. Our cabins were on deck two and they were very very quite. They were the last rooms at the front of the ship so it was a loooong walk to our rooms. The rooms were larger than other smaller ships used for 4 day cruises. I liked the adjoining rooms but really missed the window.

The cruise director was the best cruise director I have ever had. He was funny and the game shows were all funny. Of course I enjoyed the shows with the kids in May more as they all really got into them and of course Dave & I got selected for the love and marriage show in May. The Royal Caribbean singers and dancers were also some of the best we have ever seen, but they only did one show.

Even with the windy day in Cozumel it was a great vacation and I would not mind repeating the same cruise. The destinations were varied and all three stops have awesome potential. Less

Read more Enchantment of the Seas cruise reviews >>