Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by mbmrcw

Norwegian Spirit
Norwegian Spirit
Member Name: mbmrcw
Cruise Date: October 2007
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Cruise to Nowhere
See More About: Norwegian Spirit Cruise Reviews | Cruise to Nowhere Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Norwegian Spirit - Cruise to Nowhere
This cruise was a surprise for my husband's birthday. We were coming from the Bronx and we arrived at the port at 12:15 p.m. Once at the port, we parked in the lot for $25.00. We went to the registration area and it took us 5 minutes to register. The staff at the registration area was efficient and quick.

Upon arrival on the ship, we were directed to go to Raffles for lunch as our rooms were not ready . The lunch at Raffles was okay.

We went to our room at 1:50 pm and it was ready. We had the balcony room and it was small. It would be a tight fit for a family of four especially on a long cruise. I called reservations a few days before to have the room decorated for my husbands birthday. The room was nicely decorated with streamers, balloon and a cake.

After we settled down we went upstairs for the departure barbecue. The food was average. There was chicken, franks, hamburgers, bratwurst and ribs. Everyone went to the upper deck to view the Statue of Liberty. The view from ship of the skyline is amazing.

The ship was clean and well kept and the staff was very polite. Duty free shopping are on the 8th floor. We bought alcohol and cigarettes for the fraction of cost. We were able to purchase as much as we liked since we did not have to go through customs.

We went back to the room to relax until about 7:30 p.m. We changed and went to Window's for dinner. I had originally reserved a table for Teppanyaki's, however, I decided it was best to go to Window's since my husband is a picky eater. I was pleased with dinner. I had the salmon for an appetizer and steak for the entrEe. My husband at Jerk chicken with rice for an entrEe and pineapple dish for an appetizer. He was actually pleased with his meal. After we ate we went to the Stardust theater for entertainment. The performers were a family of four. Later we went to the Galaxy of the Stars for the comic act. I was bored, however my husband enjoyed it.

Around 10:30 pm there was another buffet at raffles that consisted of pizza, franks, cookies and some other things. Again, it was okay. We went back to room to sit on the balcony. There was complete darkness with the excepting of the moonlight glistening off of the water. It was a beautiful view.

In the morning, I had breakfast at Raffles while my husband slept. The eggs were horrible. It taste like the eggs were cooked in fish oil. Other than that, everything else was fairly good. We were off the ship and at the parking lot in 15 minutes. It was a very quick process.

I would suggest this cruise for anyone that wants to try cruising for the first time. Overall we enjoyed ourselves. It felt good to drive to the port instead of flying to Florida. It is also a great one day getaway from the hustle and bustle. I would do a another one day cruise with NCL. However, I'm not sure if I would do more than a one day cruise on the Spirit. There does not seem to be a lot of activities aboard the Spirit.

If I have any complaints, it would be regarding customer service. I called several times to find out if the room could be decorated. No one knew for sure and I had to finally speak to a supervisor to confirm. I was also told that the ship does not open the shops for the one day cruises. They were wrong about that. Customer Service needs to make a better effort in communicating the right information to guests.

Publication Date: 10/30/07