Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by jmecme

Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Pride of Aloha - Hawaii
This was our 1st trip to Hawaii and 1st NCLA cruise. Arrived in Honolulu 10/7 and stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki On The Beach, wonderful hotel! Did Pearl Harbor, Paradise Cove Luau and layed on the beach before getting on ship 10/10. Arrived at pier approx. 12:30 and waited 15 minutes before we were on the ship, very quick embarkation. Our stateroom was a superior inside. I thought dark inside would help with the 6 hour time difference and it did. 1st time we ever booked inside and loved it! It was small, but, I came prepared to hang almost everything So the few small drawers were not even full. Suitcases fit under the bed. I also had read too many negative reviews and was worried. My husband and I were very pleased with everything on the ship. He always tells me I read too much. Our stateroom was kept clean, never a problem getting anything we wanted. Staff was very friendly and their service was wonderful. We ate in both of the dining rooms and all 3 specialty restaurants. I think 1 night we waited 15 minutes at the Palace. We tend to eat around 7:30 to 8:00. I think when guests arrived earlier they had a longer wait. Ate at both of the buffets for breakfast and lunch. Food was good, if you got something you didn't like there was always more to choose from. We booked rental cars from Thrifty for all the ports except Lahaina and Kona. Did our own thing and saw as many sights as we could. Felt like Clark & Ellen Griswald from Lampoon's Vacation movie trying to see as much as we could, but loved every minute of it. Just walked around Lahaina and went to the beach next to the pier for a while. On Kona did the Captain Zodiac boat and snorkel, LOVED IT!!! We even got to see pilot whales. Got great photos of them! Developed all of my digital photos on the ship. $5 to burn to a cd and .25 for each photo. I didn't think that was too bad of a price for the convenience of having them done before we got home. We did not go to any of the production shows. Mostly we were in the Blue Hawaii or up on the 12th deck at the Hoku bar. Did the "Not So Newlywed" game (we are the 20 year couple). On top of a volcano days later some man came up to us laughing about our answers! I think they played the show every day on the tv. It was fun. Shane is the bartender at the Hoku bar, he was alot of fun. Had to be in the Longboard Bar @ 7:00am Subday morning to watch NFL football. I couldn't believe the crowd in there that early, good time! My husband & I went to the spa and splurged on massages, wonderful. Lots of specials during the week. We did the easy fly getting off the ship, our plane left at 12:30pm. First time for using that and it was great. Didn't have a way scheduled to get to the airport but when we disembarked there were plenty of shuttles waiting. Cost was $5 per person. We both loved our first freestyle cruise and will do it again.

Publication Date: 10/23/07