Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by shawsacat

Norwegian Spirit
Norwegian Spirit
Member Name: shawsacat
Cruise Date: September 2007
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: IE
See More About: Norwegian Spirit Cruise Reviews | Canada & New England Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Norwegian Spirit - Canada/New England
I took my mother on a six night Canada/New England cruise in September of this year. I went through an online travel agent, and had everything arranged from my flights to the transfers to the ship from the airport in New York. When I arrived at the airport, I had been told that there would be a Norwegian Cruise Line Representative there to meet me and take my mother and me to the ship. There was no one to be found. I called Norwegian Cruise Lines and they said that they do not offer transfers from the Newark, New Jersey airport, where we were. I called my online travel agent, and they said that Norwegian said they had a transfer out of that airport, and that they would see what they could do. In the mean time, after waiting at the airport for over an hour, I had to get a taxi. The taxi got us to the ship right as they were doing the safety drill.

As the ship left the New York port, we went to deck seven, and watched as we went past the Statue of Liberty. It was a very beautiful beginning to a trip that had started out so bad.

The first day of our cruise was at sea. We explored the ship, but we were disappointed to find that there was not much of the ship to explore. There was one gift shop, two jewelry/watch shops, and a liquor shop. We resorted to going to the "scrabble room" and playing cards out of boredom.

The second day we docked at Halifax, Nova Scotia, and were greeted by bag pipers. It was such and exciting experience. For our excursion we went to Mahone Bay and Lunenburg. There was not much to do in Mahone Bay, but Lunenburg was just breathtaking. It had such vibrant colors, and interesting historical sites. It was a real joy to see. When we got back to the ship, we prepared for dinner.

Every evening of the cruise we either ate at Windows or the Garden dining rooms. It really depended on which one we found first. Let me explain. In order to get to the Windows dining room from the rear of the ship, you had to go up to floor seven, then walk to the middle of the ship, then go down the stairs to floor six, and walk to the rear of the ship. If you try to get to Windows from the staircase at the rear of the ship, you run into a wall. I think over half the guests on the ship were lost eighty percent of the time just trying to find the dining rooms.

The third day we arrived at St. Johns. We had to disembark the ship from a different deck than the one the previous day. This made the morning interesting, being that they had left the signs up from the day before, so many people were going down to the wrong deck. There were ship attendants standing around to assist, but they did not do so. A small wandering group of us asked a gentleman that worked on the ship where we were supposed to go, and he said in a sarcastic manner "Well, all I can say is that you are getting warmer." So our little group wandered some more until we found the deck we needed, which was of course the one the guy we asked previously was on. After we made it off of the ship, St. John and St. Martin was wonderful. At the end of the day, we boarded the ship, and began our wandering for dinner.

The fourth day we went to Boston. It was a sight to see. There were a lot of great historical sites to enjoy, and then we took a cruise tour of the harbor.

We had left our do not disturb sign in the key slot earlier that morning, because my mom had lost something that she was worried housekeeping might throw away accidentally. When we boarded the ship after touring Boston, we went to our room. Housekeeping was there, and pointed to our do not disturb sign and said "What is going on with that?" I explained that my mom had lost something that we did not want thrown away. I was quite insulted that we got drilled about why we put up our do not disturb sign.

The fifth day we went to Martha's Vineyard. It was the best stop in the trip. The homes were so quaint, and the area was so pretty. When we got back on the ship, we decided to look at our photos that we had taken at the ports. We did not see one day of photos, so we asked the photo area attendant. He rudely told us that the photos were not put out for that day, and walked away.

So overall, the ports were great to visit; it was just the ship, and people that we had to be with that were not enjoyable. Oh, and by the way, I still have not gotten a refund from Norwegian for the transfer that was not there to pick me up at the airport in Newark.

Publication Date: 10/09/07