Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review by Dzamma: Splendour of the Seas - Western Caribbean

Dzamma

Compare Prices on Splendour of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Splendour of the Seas - Western Caribbean

Sail Date: March 2004
Embarkation: Galveston

We drove to Galveston on Fri. night. Dinner at Joe's Crab shack was wonderful.

DAY 1--- Sat. morning we watched our ship come in at 6:00. We boarded the bus to the terminal at 11:00. Check in was quick and we were on the ship by 11:45. Our luggage was in our cabin when we arrived. We unpacked and went to explore the ship. Although my friend and I were lost most of the time, my son knew the entire ship in about an hour. We located our dining table which was at the bottom of the stairs in front of the piano. We met with our some of our cruisecritic buddies in the Viking Crown Lounge and visited for a while before sailing. Due to sailing at 6:00, we opted to eat in the windjammer the first night. The movement was very apparent sitting inside, so we sat outside form that point on. We had no complaints on the food in there.

DAY 2--- Sun. we awoke to the ships horn blowing at 5:30 a.m. It was very foggy and the horn was blown every 3-4 minutes. The fog remained until More about 10 o'clock. We decided to give the dining room a try for lunch. We were not impressed with the selections, so we had a burger. We skipped dessert, and had ice cream instead. Once again the fog set in. It remained for many hours. This was formal night for us , so my friend and I made an appointment to get our hair fixed. The cost ws $45.00. I was not impressed with mine, but everyone liked it. My friend was highly disappointed with hers.

The stylist wanted to straighten her new perm. and she told her not to. She explained to the stylist that she just wanted it styled with part of it put up. The stylist turned her away from the mirror and straightened her new perm anyway. She was extremely upset. We dressed and headed to the dining room for dinner. As we got to our table, we found it full. The young ladies seated there told us this was not our table. I explained that this was the number on our card. They repeated that this was not our table. The waiter approached, and agreed with them that it wasn't our table. I showed him my card and he said we had a problem, but he would find us a table.

I told him not to worry about it, that we would eat somewhere else. We went and took formal pics and went back to our cabin to change. As we were walking out the door the head waiter called. She said there was a mix up and that the table number was on the wrong table. I explained that our number was on the table the previous day also, but she insisted that it wasn't. I guess all three of us were seeing things when we boarded. She wanted us to come back to the dining room and they would find us a table. We declined. We chose not to return to the dining room and ate in the windjammer and the solarium for the rest of the trip. The food was good in both places. The coffee is strong, but not bad if you dilute it a little. We watched a broadway show this night which we enjoyed.

DAY 3---We arrived in Cozumel and went right to our excursion. We went on the glass bottom boat. The weather was great, so the colors were very bright underwater. Upon leaving this boat, we decided to walk to town. We walked about a mile, then got a cab for the other 2 miles. We shopped for a little while, then returned to the ship. Not many others were back yet, so we took our turn in the pool. My friend didn't think to take out her contacts, so the water took them out for her. She was virtually blind for the rest of the trip. We sat around the pool for a long time enjoying the quiet until it was almost time to sail again.

DAY 4---We arrived in Costa Maya at 7 a.m. We went for breakfast and then went on shore for our excursion. We chose the Chakchoben ruins. We rode a charter bus for an hour to the ruins. This was a fabulous excursion. Our guide, Luis, was there during the excavations, so we got a lot of information on the ruins. We highly recommend this one. Even my 18 year old son enjoyed it. Back in town, we shopped some more, then back to the ship. We sailed at 3:00 after the Voyager left. (We saw 7 other cruise ships between the 2 ports).

DAY 5---What a rough day this was. It was very windy and we did a lot of swaying. For the first time, I was sea sick even though I took Bonine. It was a long day. We got better by sitting as close to the pool as possible. We couldn't feel the movement as bad here. After dinner, we were listening to the band in the Centrum,which was fabulous, when the bravo call came over the P.A. One of the engines had caught on fire. It was extinguished quickly, but the sprinklers made a massive mess in the engine room. It took 2 1/2 hours before we started moving again. Later in the Viking Crown Lounge, we were informed by a staff member that we probably wouldn't dock in Galveston until around 10:00. With this in mind, the partying continued late into the morning.

DAY 6---We docked close to 9:30. Immigration was quick, but it took forever for the port authorities to clear us for disembarkment. Once that was done, customs was a breeze, luggage was waiting and so was our bus. We were on our way home at 12:30.

THE RUN DOWN-----The ship is beautiful. We slept well on the beds. The food in the Windjammer and the Solarium was good. I can't speak for the dining room as we didn't eat there. The staff that was terrific.

We spent most nights listening to the band in the Centrum. Jon, Mark and Trevor were great, on and off the stage. Very friendly and funny. We really enjoyed spending time with them. They will be missed.

Sunshine is one of many bartenders at the pool bar. He became a very special friend to us. He relates to everyone of all ages. He is good at what he does. He took the time to stop and say hello to the kids and adults alike. He's a great person. Be sure to meet him. He'll take good care of you. We will miss him most. He was a very big part of our cruise being a great one.

Warren is the cruise director. He is very busy, but still stops to see if everyone is having a good time. Very funny, yet informative. James was our cabin steward. He kept our cabin as we liked it. Men of Culture played by the pool. They are a Jamaican band and are very good.

Venice took care of our bar needs while in the Centrum. She knew what we wanted after telling her the first time. We would say, "the usual", and she would bring it. If we said we wanted to try something new, she made suggestions that always pleased us.

Although we had a foggy day at sea, a fire, no dining table and we got a little sea sick, we had a great time on the Splendour of the Seas. Things happen everywhere, all the time. It can't be helped. I personally wouldn't let little things stop me from cruising her again. If something makes you unhappy, then do something else. There are many options to choose from. I now have new memories of another great vacation. Until we meet again, Happy sailing to you all !!! Less

Read more Splendour of the Seas cruise reviews >>