Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Lynette Chester: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) - Trans-Atlantic

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) 2
Lynette Chester
0 Forum Posts

Compare Prices on Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Transatlantic Cruises

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) - Trans-Atlantic

Sail Date: July 2007
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

My companion and I had a Britannia Club Balcony cabin for our transatlantic crossing in July. We paid extra for the privilege of the Britannia Club, so we didn't have to go to meals at specific times.

The cost of the one-way crossing was $4,300 each and it was not good value for money. The worst aspect was that smoking is allowed inside the ship, which we were both shocked about, as American ships and other cruises we have been on, have a no-smoking policy inside. Every time we went down to dinner, we could smell stale smoke.

We only ate in the Britannia restaurant, as our one experience in the restaurant on Level 7 was dreadful, when we embarked. We couldn't get over how shabby the furniture was (chipped tables and chair legs) and the food was of very poor quality.

The food in the Britannia restaurant was very disappointing. I do not eat steaks, seafood or any pork products, of which there was an abundance. To give credit where it's due, the service was More very good and the person in charge did give me access to the menus for the following day so I could check them out to see whether there was anything I liked. He also gave me the vegetarian menu, so I could order something from that as an alternative. Unfortunately, the vegetarian menu had half a dozen set items on it, which did not change for the whole journey, so someone who was a vegetarian would not enjoy the food very much. I did select a couple of items from that menu and even then, the food I received was not as specified. The chef seemed to use a great deal of poetic license with the food, especially with the desserts, which almost never resembled what was on the menu. I did order room service a couple of times to the cabin, but the menu was very sparse and twice the wrong order arrived.

The planetarium was really great, but unfortunately, there were only two 30 minute shows and once you had seen them, there was nothing else to see there. The movies were terrible and nothing more modern than 20 years old. The shows were ok, but not as good as some of the other ships we've been on. We were mislead by the purser's office and given contradictory information from several of the staff, which caused us a great deal of inconvenience on disembarkation.

Overall, the ship is not worth the money. Until Cunard stops smoking inside the ship and improves the food menus, think about a cruise on another line. Less

Published 10/08/07