Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by traceygirl: Explorer of the Seas - Canada/New England

traceygirl
Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Explorer of the Seas Canada & New England Cruises

Explorer of the Seas - Canada/New England

Sail Date: September 2007
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

Check in went fairly well. The lounge that they have Platinum & Diamond members is not large enough for the numbers. They shuttle you to the ship after check in & this was like herding cows...

Our cabin was inside and usual for the voyager class ships.

1st port was New London, CT. In my opinion a waste of time. They only thing they have there to see is the Navy Clipper, the Eagle. We were told we were lucky because it is not always there. 2nd port was Halifax. My tour was cancelled the day before they said due to low participation. Had I known that I would have scheduled the same tour myself. One minute I was told the tours were full when I complained that we really had no choice since ours was cancelled she materialized 2 tickets to the tour that was my second choice. 3rd port was St. John's and we choose to just walk around. There were 2 cruise ships at port this day and it was crowded. We ate lunch at Steamer's right across the road from where the cruise More ship docks. I thought it was expensive for a tavern but one lobster meal with 2 drinks was 70.00 plus tip Canadian dollars. 4th was Portland, Ma & we did the LL Bean shopping tour. You can not get there any way but by either the bus or taxi and I bet a taxi would be expensive. It's 25 minutes drive. It's OK but nothing any different than a outlet mall any where else. 5th was Boston, MA. I am very glad we scheduled the culinary tour because it was great. Quincy's market we walked to after the tour and it was a crowded mess.

Checking out was OK. Again the lounge was not large enough to handle all the Diamond & Platinum members and I had to get my luggage tags changed the day before. Even though I put my itinerary on my Sea Pass info, they claimed they didn't have it and took a copy of my flight info to get an earlier luggage tag.

Most of this cruise were over 70 yrs of age and that's OK but not a cruise for young people.

Entertainment, there were 2 shows, a juggler and a couple of comedians. The juggler was awful, one comedian was fair the other was good.

Meals- when I asked about the selection of food being different, I was told it was due to the size of the ship. Well they are building these ships bigger and bigger so is this we are to expect. I just don't go on a cruise to eat pork chops and buttermilk fried chicken. If the head waiter hadn't taken it on herself to supply nice plates of cheeses and special toasted bread it would have been very disappointing. Service was GREAT.

We are Platinum members and have seen the captain's party and repeaters party go down hill. It has gone to a lounge to sit, drink (your choice) & nipple on tables of appetizers and dancing to being asked to sit in the coliseum seating in the ice ring, rum punch and try to get an appetizer & a drink without a table. Plus women in heals going up and down bleacher style steps... Less

Read more Explorer of the Seas cruise reviews >>