Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by Macwoman

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by Macwoman
Explorer of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Member Name: Macwoman
Email: jbmcilrath@comcast.net
Cruise Date: September 2007
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: OS
Value-for-Money 5+

Explorer of the Seas - Bermuda
We had the most enjoyable time on the Explorer. We were celebrating our 24th wedding anniversary. My husband has celiac disease and traveling can be an issue for us due to his dietary needs. RCCL could not have done more for us!! My husband ate, had an enjoyable time and never had any trouble with food. I was a little nervous traveling from CT down to NJ. The directions on our E-docs were perfect and it took about 2-3 hours to drive and then park. We arrived around 12ish ,dropped our luggage off and was on the ship by 12:30 or so. We had priority check-in due to the OS, but it didn't look like anyone was waiting in any long lines. The buses to shuttle people appeared to be moving very quickly. Our room steward, Barrington was awesome!!! Always friendly and courteous. Our room was very well taken care of and he made sure we had things the way we wanted. Loved our room size, but we could afford it due to going in September. We were so happy with the Explorer we want to go again, but in the summer with our kids. Not sure we can afford the OS in the summer!!! Plenty of pillows, there was a pillow menu, but liked what we had.

Service in the dining room was excellent!!! Aron and Dennis were great, along with Vilma the head waiter. They always checked the food with my husband to make sure all was well. This was the kind of quality we liked about RCCL that made us come back. Gluten free bread was always there, no need to ask. I thought the food was awesome, they were trying to feed us extra too!!! Bar service excellent too. We bought the wine package so it worked out well. I had the soda card, but honestly don't know if I drank enough to pay it off, but at least I didn't worry about cans or bottles charged all the time. I never got any grief from anyone when I asked them to fill it for me.Wind jammer food was good too. I even asked one of the waiters? in the windjammer for GF bread for my husband and he went and found some for us. I was just so impressed, it is just so much easier to have a great vacation when I know my husband is well take care of and he can relax too. We ate at Portofino's', well worth the extra money! Flourless chocolate cake.........to die for!!!!!Even my husband could eat we found out!!!!

Bermuda was great, wish we had some extra time there. We did private tours separate from RCCL. We did the Jesse James snorkeling and spicelands horse tours and they were well worth the money!! Jesse picked us up even at dockyard,even though we were the only ones from the ship going. They were 16 total, the rest were from other ships. Jesse was very safety conscious and very educational. He made sure we were all okay with the water and snorkeling. We dove in 3 different spots and the fish were gorgeous!!! We dove over 2 different wreck sites, which I had never done before......it was very cool. We took the bus to spicelands, we bought a 2 day pass, but actually only used it once. There was only 4 of us total on the horses and the views on the beaches were unbelievable!!! Our tour guide was very knowledgeable and careful. Both were well worth the money and would do it again!! We bought 2 rum cakes at the pier shops....more calories to loose, but well worth it. Never made it to Hamilton, but with the prices I saw at the pier, not sure I would have bought much anyway. But would have liked one more day. I forgot about the impact of the heat and being tired on myself. Ricky the concierge...the best. Rccl did not disappoint and we will be on one the ships next summer!!!

Publication Date: 09/16/07