Carnival Legend Cruise Review by petejamie08

Cruise Date: September 2007
Embarkation: Tampa
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+

Carnival Legend - Western Caribbean
My husband and I booked a 7-day cruise on the Carnival Legend. This was my first cruise and his 3rd Carnival cruise (both 1st time on the Legend). Originally, the itinerary was Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Costa Maya but because of Hurricane Dean's damage to Costa Maya (I'm really disappointed that I missed the $20/hr massage) they changed the port of call to Roatan.

Sept2- we were notified by our friends that Hurricane Felix has potential path across Honduras and Belize. At first I am so afraid that this will ruin our trip since hurricanes are very unpredictable...At the port we saw large signs and informative handouts about the hurricane. Finally, We were told by some of the crew that due to weather condition, Carnival was forced to change the itinerary to Key West, Grand Turk, Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman. (At this point we don't know what to expect since we was able to book our excursion in Belize and Grand Cayman online).

I took BONINE on our way to the Tampa port. I am so excited for my first cruise that's why I am so concerned not to be seasick. Check-in was very smooth.. We got in our cabin around 12:30pm. The room was just right for a couple. We had an Ocean view cabin. It seems to have enough room for our clothes. There's a lot of space for our stuff, more cabinets and drawers available. The bathroom is nice and clean for a first timer like me and the bed seems to hypnotize my husband and I. We love their sheets and pillows. (I even asked our steward for info where to buy those pillows).

1:00pm we were heading to the 9th deck for our lunch with another couple and their baby girl VERONICA. I think she was the STAR of the cruise. Everyone likes her and finds her so cute and very smart. She's our adopted cruise daughter. (we miss seeing her everyday).

Lunch was very good. There are a lot of choices to choose from. Asian, Italian, French. 24 hrs Pizzeria, hamburgers, hotdog sandwich and create your own salad. Not to mention the dessert's corner. Fresh fruits, cheesecake, chocolate cake etc. Unlimited ice tea, lemonade, fruit punch and coffee. Huh! (No wonder why I gained 10 lbs in a week). I met a lot of Filipino crew and was so happy to see them. They're all over the ship in many different departments.

We came back to our cabin and decided to take a short nap. We met our cabin steward Vincent; he's really nice and friendly. Over all he did a great job of meeting all our needs! (We miss Vincent so much). We took a nap and woke up around 5:00pm since our dinning reservation was @ 5:45. All the dinners were very good, except for the filet mignon; it just came in medium rare or medium well. That's why my husband didn't like it at all because medium rare was too rare and medium well was to well done for him. Our servers were so nice and friendly ELISEO and SEBAGIA.. (Like Vincent they both did an amazing job). They're very attentive to what we need and want. ELISEO gave me WARM CHOCOLATE MELTING CAKE every night. I like how they tried to entertain all the guests. Like for instance, every night they're singing and dancing for us.

First timer Cruise Director Jen Baxter is very good and very accommodating. Comedy shows and adult shows were so funny! All the costumes used by all the performers are very good too. Even Captain Alcaras and his crew are very approachable and friendly.

Excursions:

Key West - We just walked around and decided not to do any excursion. We had a good deal for colognes and perfumes. It was very hot sunny day, that's why we just decided to go back to the ship and eat lunch.

Grand Turk- We woke up late since we didn't have any planned excursion. We just walked around, shopped a bit. The Island itself was very small for 4000 population yet it's so clean and beautiful. It was very hot so we decided to stop and chill in the pool and watch the hip-hop dancing contest in their swimsuit at Margarita Ville. Overall we had a good time.

Ocho Rios- we didn't book an excursion but we decided to wake up early to explore Jamaica. We found a good shuttle deal to DUNN RIVER FALLS. ($8pp roundtrip) I have everything on my back pack (underwater shoes, underwater camera, sun block lotion, swimsuits etc..) we decided just to go there and explore for ourselves. We were so glad we didn't book directly from the ship because we saved a lot! We just paid $15pp entrance fee and paid $5 for a locker. We have our own water shoes so that's why we didn't pay for shoe rental. We put all our stuff in our locker and then we were ready to go to the falls, a guy approached us and asked if we wanted him to take our pictures while climbing the river. We're so glad we did say yes although at first we were so hesitant, he said just give him a tip after the excursion. He guided us on what part of the river was slippery. He helped a lot most especially because he knew what parts exactly are good for picture taking. (I just hope he did good job on our pictures). We passed all the tour groups there.. We're actually the first one who finished the climb to the top of the falls. It felt so good and fulfilling when we finished the excursion. While enjoying the very relaxing cold water and watching all the groups we left behind. It turned out very well. We just spent $51 for the whole experience plus tips for our bus driver and picture taker.

Grand Cayman- we booked online a "Wave Runner Excursions to Stingray City and Rum Point Island" Were so glad that we did it! We had a guide by the name of "KOKO" who gave us personal attention since we only had one other couple for a total of 5 people in our group. It was our first time on a wave runner and it turned out to be one of our most amazing experiences. We first went to stingray city where all of the other tour groups go. It's so amazing how KOKO wrangled the stingrays and brought them to us. We were able to hold, feed and kiss them. At first I am so hesitant to even touch them coz I find them so nasty and slippery but as KOKO explained to us that these stingrays are harmless, I was a little more at ease with them. He also told us some information about stingrays and their natural habitant. We took pictures with them. Believe me, it's priceless! Some people from the tour groups asked us where we booked our excursion (wave runner, play with the stingrays and chill at the Rum Point Island in one amazing excursion) Everyone was watching us and trying to figure out how for a small group of 5 people, there were a lot of stingrays coming to us. Well, that's KOKO's secret!

(This is really a must do excursion. Let me know if anyone is interested so I can give you KOKO's information) jamierkassis08@yahoo.com

Overall my first cruise experience with Carnival on the Legend was amazing. The ship was beautiful, the entertainment was good. The food and service were excellent. The Captain and his crew are awesome. I didn't even want to come home and back to reality of everyday life. My husband and I are now ready to book our next cruise.

Pete and Jamie Carnival Legend Sept 2-9 '07