Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Sweetd

Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Member Name: Sweetd
Email: cslynn06@yahoo.com
Cruise Date: May 2007
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Transatlantic
Cabin Category: A2
See More About: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Cunard Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

LuxuryOnly.com

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) - Trans-Atlantic
* Background Information I am a single male in my 60's that loves to cruise. This was my 21st cruise since January, 05. I have traveled on Princess, Holland America, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Oceania, & Carnival. I rate the QM2 as one of the best ships I've traveled on. After arriving in Southampton, spent 2 months visiting Ireland, England, Scotland & Wales.

* Ship Info The QM2 is a very elegant vessel. The public areas are tastefully designed, spacious & functional. I was reminded by one of the officers that "this is an ocean liner not a cruise ship." I agree completely. Very well designed & appointed.

* Travel To Port of Embarkation I live in NYC & took cab to port in Brooklyn. There is a lot of construction in the area of the port & it will eventually be fine but was very disconcerting arriving to this beautiful ship. Embarkation processing was very well handled and was on board three quarters of an hour after arriving at port.

* Stateroom My stateroom was tastefully appointed and very comfortable. Balcony is a bit of a waste for a Transatlantic sailing. There are no views except for the open ocean. Weather was a bit cold & very windy so did not avail myself of the balcony. Went out a couple of times but too cold & breezy. There is plenty of closet space. Bed was great. Bathroom was a bit small but adequate. My cabin steward was excellent. Always pleasant & accommodating.

* Dining The Britannia Restaurant was excellent. I ate almost all my meals in this restaurant. The quality, selection, presentation & service were outstanding. I was not real impressed with the Kings Court (buffet restaurant). On day of embarkation the lines were long & poorly managed. The food was good but for some reason the layout didn't appeal to me. There were several stations & areas. They had some nice selections for dinner al fresco but I couldn't attend because it was booked every night. The food was so good in the Britannia Restaurant I never went to Todd English. The dining room stewards & assistants were all excellent. There were a couple of occasions where the table steward was exceptional in all ways. I even went to the captain to praise the wait staff. This was a chartered cruise & there was open seating for all meals. I was able to observe a variety of table stewards & the majority were excellent. Dining was a very pleasant experience on this vessel. * Entertainment The entertainment throughout the ship was great. The lounges had fun & professional entertainers. The first production show was good but I've seen better, however, the last production show "Rock the Opera" was super! Costumes, stage settings, arrangements, music & performances were top notch.

* Activities There were no ports on this voyage & Cunard had several standard games & functions during the cruise. There were a few outstanding lectures given & the computer classes were also well presented & topical.

* Service Service throughout the ship was very good. The crew were attentive, courteous, friendly & efficient. They seemed like they really enjoyed their jobs & interacting with the passengers.

* Shore Excursions There were no ports, hence no shore excursions.

* Disembarkation This went very smoothly for me. I took advantage of Self Help Express Disembarkation & was able to take my luggage off & with very little effort get a cab & pick up my rental car.

* Summary I must say that this was a wonderful voyage & I was extremely impressed with the Queen Mary 2. It is a beautiful, elegant vessel that lives up to its reputation. I rank it as one of the 3 top cruises that I've sailed on in the past 2 and one half years. I would definitely travel on this ship in the future & recommend it to all.

Publication Date: 09/12/07