Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by Maria Battle

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by Maria Battle
Explorer of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Member Name: Maria Battle
Cruise Date: August 2007
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: d1

Explorer of the Seas - Bermuda

Let me first say, that anytime I have read a negative review of a ship, I have always thought to myself, those people just don't know who to have a good time. For a me and my family, a cruise is always heaven. Not this time.

Drove to Cape Liberty from Staten Island and was there in 15 minutes, however ship was late coming in and took quite a while to get on the ship with those shuttle buses. I must say I prefer other lines where you can simply walk on the ship. The cabins were fine (we had adjoining with our sons), but rather small, even though ours was a balcony.

The food in the Windjammer we found simply awful. Dining room was food was okay depending on the night. The service was so-so. Lunch waiters seemed like we were troubling them because we were in their dining room. Our dinner waiters were helpful, if not a bit harried. We had the chance to eat early seating dinner one night so we could enjoy the Bermuda dockyard festival (maitre'd very helpful on this) and the wait staff at this meal put our regular waiters to shame. We realized the different level of service. There needs to be an alternate dining venue that you could choose that's not a surcharge or a buffet. More like NCL. There's not much choice dining room, buffet, or surcharge. Was a alittle disappointed.

The entertainment was awful! Very disappointed. And usually scheduled the show for second seating dinner at 7:00 pm. Too early! If I wanted to be ready that early, I would choose early dinner. Also only one late night adult comedy show, which my husband and I usually attend. Also the reasons we chose this ship was for all the activities that supposedly could keep our teenagers busy. Ice skating is open only very infrequently because of ice show. Very few sessions of only 45 minutes apiece. A big disappointment. As far as the inline skating and rock climbing. While it was fun, alittle rain can close down both activities for house. Another huge disappointment.

Bermuda was wonderful. Beautiful beaches and wonderful people.

Debarkation a nightmare with everyone waiting their turn for those little shuttle buses. Never again. Give me NCL (or even Carnival) anyday!

Publication Date: 09/08/07