Carnival Victory Cruise Review by shortstuf

Carnival Victory
Carnival Victory
Member Name: shortstuf
Cruise Date: August 2007
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: 6B
See More About: Carnival Victory Cruise Reviews | Canada & New England Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Carnival Victory - Canada/New England
Background: I have been on Celebrity, RCCL, Carnival and NCL. I traveled with my husband and two of his friends. His friends were first time cruisers and one won the hairy chest competition. He got a very nice carnival robe and a plastic statue and was shown in the cabin frequently.

Embarkation - not too bad - better than Miami - a few too many lines but I think that's because they had to limit the number of people in the terminal at one time. Staff was nice and friendly.

The ship is in very good condition for 7 years old although signs of wear and tear are around if you look for them - scratches and dents etc - lets not forget the dent in the nose from hitting the cruise terminal a few months back.

Cabin: - 2457 Oceanview - great cabin and great layout corner and not the skinny rectangle room- we did not mind the hum of the engine at all - almost simulated our noisy air conditioner. The tugboat on the other hand was a bit too shaky for comfort. But that was only leaving and on arrival at NY port (unfortunately that was 5am.).

Having recently cruised RCCL and now Carnival I must take note that the Navigator is easier to read and utilize than the Capers.

Cruise was great -

Sail away - always great passing the statue of liberty, Ellis Island and going under the bridge.

Semi bad weather on first sea day didn't matter - spent day in spa and gym - Hot tub in the spa great and adult only. Still went down the slide - video to be uploaded later Kids and teens in the pools and hot tubs with snorkel gear prevented using any outside facilities except in inclement weather. What ever happened to Camp Carnival? Were these just escapees?

There is no one working in the Gym/spa to assist novices with the machines - saw many people using treadmills barefoot and with flip flops carrying totebags with kids hanging off the machines - a tad dangerous but since it wasn't me I didn't say anything.

Lines lines and more lines at the buffets prevented me from eating anything unhealthy. - or at least too much of anything unhealthy. When we were on the Glory never had this problem - and never on Royal Caribbean but the lines for this short cruise were awful.

Dining room - a little snafu with our seating - having been placed at a table for the four of us instead of a larger table with new people to meet was rectified next day by Mr. Diaz - could not find him on the last day to tip him though. Food was a little disappointing - I remember it being fantastic on the Glory and my previous trips on the Victory - this time it was only fair. Our service was great at both tables. We loved our new table mates and hope to meet up with them in real life after. Saint John, New Brunswick, Port Day was beautiful - no fog or rain - bright sunshine for us to take self guided walking tour - greeted by a two -three man band in a trailer a rose and tourist assists when you walk off the ship - stopped in restaurant Billy's Seafood (highly recommend) for some local oysters and smoked lox (lobster looked great as did other dishes)- bought our maple syrup and dulse - on sail away we were treated to a bagpiper and a rainbow that lit up a light house Next sea day was beautiful but a bit chilly - sat out and read after a great morning in the gym and sauna - a crew member became critically ill and was airlifted from the ship - I heard that he was going to make it and we were all relieved. It was a bit more excitement since the helicopter had to drop a basket for the poor man and they had to evacuate the decks. I believe one of the other passengers has already uploaded the film to youtube. Since I had been on the Victory before I was disappointed that they had the same shows Living in America and Vroom. - Great shows but not for the second or third time!

Casino removed my favorite quarter machines - and unfortunately when I stood up from a machine someone else sat down and won the jackpot!!!! I learned to use the pro-poker table for texas hold-em and I could not get a seat at the let it ride table - there was a truly fun group sitting there.

Malcolm in the Middle from the Bronx was ok - but his presence was not really noticed around the ship.

Disembarkation - first time in all my 9 cruises that they did not show the disembarkation talk on the tv in the cabin!!!!!! All in all a great cruise and I miss my cabin steward Eduardo already. I have to make and unmake my own bed every night!

Publication Date: 09/06/07